Is this Lens Fungus?

Fancy chatting about something else? This is the place, but keep it related to photography and avoid religion and politics please!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Is this Lens Fungus?

Postby podgeorge » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi guys, was examining one of he lenses i was given (Vivitar 24mm f/2) and noticed what looked maybe like lens fungus :? Although i am not sure! Please have a look at the pic below and can somone tell me if it is or not?
Thanks in advance!

podgeorge

Postby Alex_Venom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Yep!! You got some fungus!
It's bad but not as bad as could be... like this guy here:

He could probably make Pasta on Fungi with that lens...
Alex_Venom

Postby podgeorge » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:40 pm

Would it clean up? I have put the lens, on my window shelf with the cap off, to try and kill the fungus with sunlight, although can it be cleaned up?
Thanks
podgeorge

Postby Alex_Venom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:27 am

Sometimes you can kill them with sunlight but if it's grown you'll probably have to send it for an professional cleaning.. where they'll set your lens apart, clean it and then remount it....
But give it a try.. leave it on the sun and see the results.
Alex_Venom

Postby podgeorge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 am

Ok, thanks for your help, i'll try and see how i get on! If i start to like the lens alot when i get my adapter and use it, i might consider, sending it somewhere and getting it cleaned!
podgeorge

Postby Shagrath » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:06 am

You'd think that it would need to be opened up to be cleaned...Wouldn't letting sunlight kill it still leave behind some of the dead material?
Shagrath

Postby podgeorge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

Wekk i read somewhere, that sunlight can kill it and make it shirvel, back so there is not so much!
podgeorge

Return to Off-topic (photography-related)