Advantages of professional camcorders over DSLRs?

Fancy chatting about something else? This is the place, but keep it related to photography and avoid religion and politics please!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Advantages of professional camcorders over DSLRs?

Postby sherriselph » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:56 am

Which is actually better DSLRs or professional camcorders?
sherriselph

Re: Advantages of professional camcorders over DSLRs?

Postby Rorschach » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:57 am

I don't think you should look at which is "actually better" but rather which is more fit for purpose, not to mention taking into account personal preferences.

The main reason so many people go for video-capable DSLRs over professional-grade camcorders almost always comes down to the fact that most DSLRs are significantly less expensive while they offer can very good quality video through a large sensor. With that said, when you take rigs and accessories into consideration, the total cost can match or exceed professional camcorders.

Generally speaking, one of the key advantages professional camcorders has is better audio inputs and the facility for viewfinders though you can get something similar for DSLRs.
DSLRs: Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 70D
CSC: Canon EOS M3
Lenses: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM
Rorschach

Re: Advantages of professional camcorders over DSLRs?

Postby Maestro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 am

As I've said before, "the only people who are usually better off shooting video on a large sensor, interchangeable lens, hybrid photo/video camera are folks on a scripted narrative feature (who have the time to setup, block, light, do multiple takes, etc.)" i.e. people who have the time to plan all of this out ahead of time and who also have the time to reshoot if something (e.g. focus) goes wrong during a take. Pretty much everyone else would be better off with a dedicated video camera, IMO."

From focus, to sound, to exposure flicker, etc. there are myriad reasons to use a dedicated video camera unless you absolutely need a certain look and you absolutely can't get it any other way than a large sensor, interchangeable lens, hybrid photo/video camera.

And keep in mind that I've been shooting video on these cameras since the GH1 came out in 2009, so if anything, you'd expect me to be biased toward these types of cameras.

Mark
Maestro

Return to Off-topic (photography-related)