What's the weather sealing price premium?

Fancy chatting about something else? This is the place, but keep it related to photography and avoid religion and politics please!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

What's the weather sealing price premium?

Postby kimchi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 pm

I'd like to get a weather sealed set up (eg Olympus OMD), but it's pointless without a weather sealed lens

The options for native lenses for this format are pretty limited. I just want a couple of wide/normal weather sealed primes. I could use the Olympus 4/3 50mm macro, but it's too long, and requires a converter. A native version would certainly be smaller.

Are there any examples of cameras or lenses available as weather sealed and non-weather sealed versions? Fro example, there are stabilised and non-stabilised versions of certain Canikon lenses, iirc.

I'm just curious how much more a weather sealed version of popular lenses (eg Olumpus 17mm 1.8 or Panasonic 25mm 1.4) would cost. I don't understand why m4/3, despite having 3 weather sealed bodies, still has few lenses usable in the rain (4 zooms and 1 long macro prime)

I could go the Canikon/Pentax route, but I dumped my DSLR kit a few years back and I'm never going back.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53061745@N02/

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm
kimchi

Return to Off-topic (photography-related)