The Antennae Galaxies

Astro photography? Microscopic images? Other technical shots? Post your tips or questions here

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

The Antennae Galaxies

Postby Bob Andersson » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi folks,

From this Hubble data, processed by yours truly.

What you are seeing is the result of an ongoing "collision" between two galaxies triggering intense star formation and massive tidal disruption not only of the star orbits but, of course, the interstellar dust. The chances are that stars never hit each other in such events although I imagine that many solar systems have their planetary orbits disturbed.

Arp 244, The Antennae Galaxies

A half size version (1990x1990) is available here - if you are interested it is worth checking out using an image viewer which has a darker background than the forum pages. There's also some very good NII data available for this image which I'm currently working on but I have a feeling I'll prefer this version just using the Hubble F814W/F550M/F435W filters (mapped to Red, Green and Blue of course). There's an image (here) over at Wikipedia which includes the NII but the additional red tends to block the blue.

Processing followed my normal workflow except that I had to tone down the colour, presumably because of a saturation amplification effect due to the bandpasses of the Hubble filters used, and my aim was to bring out the structure of the dust lanes without it looking as though I had! :lol:

The night sky as seen from a planet orbiting one of the stars in this object must be spectacular. Maybe the best view could be had by local machine intelligences who could enter "slow time" to watch the collision in perceptual real time. I wonder what their word for "Wheeee" is. :P

Bob.
Sony RX1R II. Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 + 1.4x T/C, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8, Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.
Bob Andersson

Re: The Antennae Galaxies

Postby Smirf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 am

At first I missed the Hubble part. That made me instantly think "God Lord! What kind of equipment does he have?" :)

Amazing picture still. Nice processing! The universe can really make you feel small in the grander schemes of things.
Smirf

Return to Technical and scientific photography