Panasonic Lumix TZ60 / ZS40 review - official thread

DSLRs, compacts, lenses and flashes. Discuss all things Panasonic here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Re: Panasonic Lumix TZ60 / ZS40 review - official thread

Postby StephenCWLL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 pm

YA guy wrote:Thanks to Gordon's review I bought the ZS40 back in March 2014.
In many ways it's an excellent pocket camera!
What I didn't know is Panasonic only supports Microsoft for camera software (Panasonic does support iPhone wifi support thankfully).
I love the camera but not the current Panasonic management. I think it needs a sound and loud scolding.
My experience:
I bought and paid on Panasonic's website $482.32 for the ZS40 camera.
Nowhere on the webpage did it say Microsoft only or no Apple support, for me that is not a fix anyway. Direct real support is what's needed.
To this day I am upset that I can't edit in RAW on my computer.
(and yes, I'm aware I could get/buy software from "others" to support Raw for Mac)

My wish is that this issue gets on the radar and in the forefront of reviewers reviews, (mouth full) in more then a passing manor.
Creative departments of most (if not all) major corporations use only Apple machines because the Design Industry is Mac.
(no overreaching or flame intent)
Is Panasonic saying we don't support/recognize the creative industry?
My thought is (with all respect) maybe support BY Panasonic for Mac should be a change led by the folks holding the banners.

I'm not an Apple customer so not an issue I'd get worked up about but I totally appreciate your frustration and views. Maybe one to make Gordon aware of via twitter or his FB page? He might well pick up your comment here.

I'm interested how you found other aspects of this camera, specially macro shots?
StephenCWLL

Postby YA guy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm interested how you found other aspects of this camera, specially macro shots?[/quote]

Very happy with macro. My wife is too. Not looking to plug her online store and I don't have time to wade through the dos and don'ts
so instead of a direct link, I'll say she is on etsy and her store is the plaid ant (no spaces). Anyway my point is all her shots reg and macro are with the TZ60/ZS40 and it all looks great! I have a Canon 5 D Mark III and I have no problem switching between the two. Sure the 5DM3 can make a better picture when everything is good and you have time but their has been many a time when I'm happy to grab the TZ60/ZS40 and sometimes it does a better job! That to me is huge "get". It just blows that I can't take advantage of what Raw has to offer.
If your looking to buy, I'd wait for the ZS50 thats coming out in a few months to see if and what it excels at.

Happy to help further if you want. Can I ask what your primary want or focus is for the camera?
YA guy

Postby StephenCWLL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Primarily I'm wanting to photo birds/butterflies that may be at a reasonable distance. Not miles away of course, but I need to be at a reasonable distance to photo graph without disturbing, plus I'm keen to take close ups of bugs, insects, butterflies and plants.

You can PM me your wife's site please. I'd love to look at what the camera can do :)

yea, heard about the latest one. Think it's only a month away until release?
StephenCWLL

Postby YA guy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:40 pm

StephenCWLL wrote:Primarily I'm wanting to photo birds/butterflies that may be at a reasonable distance. Not miles away of course, but I need to be at a reasonable distance to photo graph without disturbing, plus I'm keen to take close ups of bugs, insects, butterflies and plants.

You can PM me your wife's site please. I'd love to look at what the camera can do :)

So sorry for the delay in response.

I use the camera for birds at feeders (I have shot butterflies but they are so much harder to get closeups on).
I shoot them from 15 to 25 feet. I found the feather detail can be very nice. I use a low ISO, a faster shutter, manual focus and multi shot mode so I have many shots to pick from.
I find (depending on the light) the feather detail is easier to get then my Canon 5D mark III. For inflight shots the 5D is much better because of the much faster shutter modes available.
YA guy

Postby StephenCWLL » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm

YA guy wrote:
StephenCWLL wrote:Primarily I'm wanting to photo birds/butterflies that may be at a reasonable distance. Not miles away of course, but I need to be at a reasonable distance to photo graph without disturbing, plus I'm keen to take close ups of bugs, insects, butterflies and plants.

So sorry for the delay in response.

I use the camera for birds at feeders (I have shot butterflies but they are so much harder to get closeups on).
I shoot them from 15 to 25 feet. I found the feather detail can be very nice. I use a low ISO, a faster shutter, manual focus and multi shot mode so I have many shots to pick from.
I find (depending on the light) the feather detail is easier to get then my Canon 5D mark III. For inflight shots the 5D is much better because of the much faster shutter modes available.

Have you uploaded them anywhere?
StephenCWLL

Postby YA guy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:23 am

No I don't have any online.
YA guy

Previous

Return to Panasonic