Rambutan

Share your tips, photos and questions about still-life photography here! For close-ups, use the macro section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Rambutan

Postby retrogression » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:05 am

From Wikipedia: The rambutan (taxonomic name: Nephelium lappaceum) is a medium-sized tropical tree in the family Sapindaceae, and the fruit of this tree. It is native to Malaysia, Indonesia, The Philippines, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia, although its precise natural distribution is unknown. It is closely related to several other edible tropical fruits including the Lychee, Longan, and Mamoncillo. It is believed to be native to the Malay Archipelago,[3] from where it spread westwards to Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka and India; eastwards to Vietnam, the Philippines and Indonesia.[4] The name rambutan is derived from the Malay word rambut, which literally means hairy caused by the 'hair' that covers this fruit, and is in general use in Malay and Filipino.[4]

retrogression

Postby EvanK » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 am

Interesting shot. You made it look like a fine painting, how did you get such a nice shot?

-Evan
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams
EvanK

Postby retrogression » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks Evan.

While driving home from a weekend trip, my wife asked me to stop along a roadside of stalls selling these rambutan. While she was buying, got the camera out and took the shot from the driver seat.
retrogression

Postby EvanK » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Wow! It looks like something that a professional would set up for hours! Getting the lighting, placing it correctly, meanwhile you just stuck the camera out your window and took a picture. Now THAT takes skill!
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams
EvanK

Postby retrogression » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Evan. :D
retrogression

Rambutan

Postby pramodmeee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm originally from Sri Lanka and did no know that all those other countries also call these Rambutan. :))

Interesting shot too.

Cheers!
pramodmeee

Postby palakaboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am

NNIIICCEEE!!!

brings me back home!

for anyone here with any interest in learning how you would describe these in my language say-

"SARAP (sah-wrap)"def - delicious, scrumptious, mouth-watering, om nom nom
palakaboy

Return to Still Life photography