Does iPad GPS work without Sim card?

Which platform's best for photography? How much RAM do you really need? Discuss computer hardware here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Does iPad GPS work without Sim card?

Postby tawnyacox » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if I got an ipad wifi+3g; and I removed the Sim card, will I still be able to use the GPS without the Sim card.

Note that I'm in middle east.
tawnyacox

Re: Does iPad GPS work without Sim card?

Postby Schultze » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 pm

I've looked at that issue for myself so I could use a Ipad as a improved map while on vacation.
I came to the conclusion trough some googling that the gsp works, but the maps in google maps aren't stored locally.
So without a sim card or wi-fi access google maps doesn't work.
At least as far as I know.
Schultze

Postby keystrokesuk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am

As mentioned iOS devices do not store any map data (for Google Maps) so without an internet connection via wifi or cellular data network you are not going to get any map downloads to show you where you are even if you have a GPS signal so the device can locate itself.

The only thing you might be able to do is generate a trail of GPS breadcrumbs by taking photos at regular intervals to leave a geotagging trail on your device but this will not be functioning as a live GPS system just a way to review where you have been.

Some of the 3rd party iOS GPS apps may store map data on your device but this could take up to 2GB of space (Garmin Western Europe app is 1.75GB) and the app costs $99.99
Nikon D90
Nikkor AF-S DX; 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G VR, 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR, 35mm f/1.8G
Speedlight SB-700

http://keystrokesukimages.com
keystrokesuk

Postby curtisbrowning » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:03 pm

GPS has no relationship with the SIM card. It should work fine...however. If you're using google maps, then it needs a internet connection to keep updating the maps. If it's a navigation app like TomTom, then you can work the nav without a sim.

Hpe I've helped
curtisbrowning

Return to Computer hardware and operating systems