Macbook Pro 15" High rez?

Which platform's best for photography? How much RAM do you really need? Discuss computer hardware here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Postby grahamnp » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 am

Same difference between any 1650x1050 and 1440x900 screen. Personally I think 1650x1050 is the sweet spot for a 15.4" but I have an older MacBook Pro with a 1440x900 and with the way OSX manages windows, I'd want a bigger screen and not necessarily just a resolution bump. Keep in mind that if you want the matte option, you only get to pick the higher resolution so maybe that's an advantage for you?
grahamnp

Postby Joren » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am

What a discussion, I like it.
But actually I'm already convinced to buy a macbook pro and not a windows PC.

I do not only want a mac for the processing of pictures, I also choose it for video-rendering and of course it's usability. I used someones mac and I was directly convinced! Everything went so smooth and fine..

So about buying a mac, I'm sure! Now I'm just doubting about the macbook pro 15" 2.4GHz (i5) non high-rez (1592€ at university) or the 17" 2.53GHz (i5) (2000€ at university).

Now, I'm just thinking what I want to spend on it.. I just really need a notebook for university next year so we'll see I guess.

Thanks for the comments!

Joren
Joren

Postby Razvan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 am

I haven't taken in consideration the cost of the softwares or the free ones already present in the Mac.
Next question then...I've been on some Mac forums & the conclusion was the same : if you have a good enough video card & lots of RAM,the Mac will run well. Still,that means a lot of money paid for a top MacBook Pro,when you can run video editing softwares on Win7 for half or a third of the cost. Most softwares support Win7 & Mac,so why should the Mac perform better in editing of any kind? That's a question that no Mac user answered to me until now.

One more thing! Editing of any kind is not done on a laptop's small & faulty screen,you do it on a IPS or S-IPS LCD panel. That is if you want the best color rendation,black & white levels accuracy,180 degrees angle of view without colors washing away & more.
Razvan

Postby grahamnp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:24 am

I don't think anybody claimed that the Mac is better at editing when it comes to cross-platform software like Adobe's Creative suite. People generally buy Macs for editing if they want Apple specific software like Aperture or Final Cut. Personally, I liked the way OSX works and I while I prefer the value of raw power of PC hardware, I am for now, unwilling to go back to Windows to get it. I got a Mac because I prefer OSX and in this case, any editing software I got followed that decision.

There is your answer Razvan. :)
grahamnp

Postby Razvan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:41 am

so it's all about the software. thank you for explaining :)
Razvan

Postby AnderssonPhoto » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

well I've tried Aperture though

my thoughts:
It looks nice and simple to use.
but the thing that I dont like is that its really laggy to use ^^
http://www.AnderssonPhoto.com
Equipment: A blend of Canon, Nikon, Yashica, Leica, Voigtlander, Samyang and Sigma. All of which you can see on my website!
Wishlist: Leica M 240, Summilux 50 ASPH, Summilux 24 ASPH
AnderssonPhoto

Postby Victor Hoffmann » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

@Maj.Homer, Exactly that's why i swicthed from Aperture 3 til Lightrom 3 yesterday. It's a lot faster than Aperture!

Victor
Website
Victor Hoffmann

Postby grahamnp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 pm

About the software? For me, yes but I am sure the logo is very persuasive to some other people. :(

I don't like Aperture either. I find it quite difficult to use compared to LR which is very unlike Apple.
grahamnp

Previous

Return to Computer hardware and operating systems