Aspect Ratios

How to turn your hobby into a profession. Tips welcomed by those already in the business!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Aspect Ratios

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 am

Was filling out an order last night when an odd thought came to mind...

Let me start by saying I am not a pro photographer and never plan on being one. I do what I do cause I love it and have a never ending passion for it and if someone along the way finds one of my pics interesting I will sell it to them but I don't go out of my way to get a pic for someone of something they want. I may have bent that rule this summer a bit by accepting some work for some pics but I still don't plan on going out of my way to get the pics but I do see the animals a lot and am pretty sure I will get what they need. Anyways...

Last year I sold just over 150 prints and about 20 pics to magazines and book writers and it clicked in yesterday not one was set to what is considered a common aspect ratio. When I crop my pics I do so for what look the best in my opinion and don't base it on a ratio set out by someone. I guess that would be useful for potrait/wedding photographers and others but for wildlife I really have never thought about setting my pics to a classic aspect ratio. Maybe if I were asked to do post cards I might but even there I would probably just sell my pic as is and let them do with it as they want. The pictures I have sold to magazines have been the same... they pick the pic I sell it with no consideration of aspect ratios and in almost all cases they just wrap the text as need be to make everything fit.

Am I just wacked or anyone else do this?

Btw.. when I sell a print I give the option of selling it framed and matted. I get it done by a local crafter and it seems to work well. Over 50% of the ones I sold last year I sold framed but even when ppl order the print without it being framed I have never once been questioned or later recieved any grief from someone worried bout a custom frame job.

So.. how often do you all follow classic aspect ratios. I got a wierd feeling I'm gonna be the black sheep in this case.
Canon 7D + 50D + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM + EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Pelican // Black Rapid // Think Tank // Manfrotto // Garmin

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr
Wolfsong

Postby Mal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:24 pm

To be honest for a long while I had never thought about aspect ratios. I always like you cropped the picture to what I thought was best(if it needed cropping of course).

But when I set out to prepare for a gallery I did in November and one in December, I had about 50 pictures, 30 of them I was editing with the gallery in mind and quickly realized that I can't crop them like I had done before, as they were all going to be printed to fit into standard sized frames. We were hoping to sell a few, 16x12 and A4 being the most popular. We couldn't afford to put them into odd sized frames and print sizes, so I cropped them to the standard aspect ratios(is there even one).

My point is though that the 20 or so other pictures that I had of my previous work, I had to redo, as a lot of them were all odd aspect ratios. And this really changed the look of most of the pictures.

I think after that I've decided that unless a picture definitely requires an odd crop size, I am best keeping the aspect ratio the same.

Hope that made sense. :lol:
Mal

Postby Trevor Harris » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Mal: I'm like you. I don't constrain myself to a specific aspect ratio - I do what looks best. For posting online, sure, that works. However, if I were to print, I'd revisit the photo and decide to either go with a custom frame or with a typical ratio. The magnitude of what I loose by changing the ratio, I balance against the added cost and decide from there.

For client work, not that I have done any, but I would be inclined to include photos cropped (I'd rather crop than someone else) for the standard ratios that they would likely want. I'd then give a copy of the "what looks best" aspect ratio and indicate that it's for posting online only.

Just an additional thought... A problem with supplying a "what looks best" ratio is your signature - if you usually include one. You then run the risk of the client either cropping it all, or worse, part of it out of the photo.
Trevor Harris

Return to Going Pro? Business, libraries, exhibitions / website, portfolio and card critique