Books on the Business.

How to turn your hobby into a profession. Tips welcomed by those already in the business!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Books on the Business.

Postby Mal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi, Does anyone know any decent books regarding the Business of photography. I have done a Google search but I don't know which ones are any good. I'm really looking thinking about getting into photography, or trying to over the next year. And I thought doing a bit of reading about how it works might be a good place to start.

So my question is, does anyone know any books on the photography business that they could recommend?

Thanks a million.

Mal
Mal

Postby jameswilby5 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm having the same problem would like to get into selling a few of my photos and making a little bit of money. I am already part of a young enterprise company that does sports photography, but you only get paid at the end. Although are projected profits are £800 each. :D. But I would like to make some money at the moment.
Camera: Canon 550D with battery grip
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 18-55mm, Tamron 70-300mm,
Accessories: Manfrotto 055XPROB with 808RC4 head, Canon 430ex II speedlite, Lowepro Nova 180AW and Lowepro Pro Runner 450AW

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin
jameswilby5

Postby keystrokesuk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 am

The problem is that photography is such a wide area and the business model you use can vary depending if you are selling stock images or taking wedding/portrait shots.

If you have a good idea of what area of photography you are going to get into, wildlife/landscape shots for National Geographic or glamour model shots for another type of graphic, then you will be able to narrow down your choice of books.

I have a book by Lee Frost called "Photos That Sell" it is designed for freelance photographers and covers some marketing and photo content topics
Nikon D90
Nikkor AF-S DX; 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G VR, 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR, 35mm f/1.8G
Speedlight SB-700

http://keystrokesukimages.com
keystrokesuk

Return to Going Pro? Business, libraries, exhibitions / website, portfolio and card critique