mirrorless good enough for motorsports or do I need dslr

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

mirrorless good enough for motorsports or do I need dslr

Postby browgk » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I have a canon eos 40d which I'm looking to replace. I have a lumix gm1 for general photography but it's not up to trackside Motorsport use. I keep being told mirrorless camera AF systems will not match a dslr for tracking fast action, with possible exception of Sony a6300. My question is, would an OMD 5 mk2, whilst not a match for a 7d mk2 or 80d, be at least as good as my 40d (which would be adequate) for Motorsport work? Most of my shots are 1/1000+ approaches or 1/160 ish pans. The OMD has many other advantages (size, lens sharing) for me, so as long as it was 40d good enough for tracking fast action, I'd be happy.
browgk

Re: mirrorless good enough for motorsports or do I need dslr

Postby Maestro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am

I think an E-M5 should be satisfactory, especially if you use the fact that motorsports generally follow a predictable path to your advantage. But if you really need the AF to track a subject as it moves rapidly toward (or away from) you, you may want to consider an E-M1, instead. That said, I've shot motorsports with my GH2 and produced results I found satisfactory by working around this limitation and pre-focusing on a specific area of the track (and stopping down to f8-11; admittedly, this wouldn't be possible for a night race). (And keep in mind that you only need a fraction of a second to pre-focus.)

So unless you're shooting motocross jumps at night and can't position yourself to the side of the ramp...
Maestro

Postby browgk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks. Does the Om-d 5 allow you to fix aperture and shutter speed while ISO is left to vary?
browgk

Postby Maestro » Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 am

Maestro

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?