Compact Camera For Cruise

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Compact Camera For Cruise

Postby thepominlaw » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi all,

After some guidance going on a 12 day cruise in the summer and wondering what camera to buy, I only want something small as I am traveling with a large group so won't have time to take my dslr.

I currently have available to be two Panasonic cameras, the TZ40 (great all rounder but IQ lacking) a LX3 my favourite camera but minimal zoom makes me think it's not idea to take.

Really disappointed with the TZ40 panorama mode get loads of banding in the sky so that's putting me off taking this.so I am left wondering what to do. Raw would be good and movies a must 1080p is ideal.

Will I get better IQ from a Panasonic LF1 or Sony HX60v, budget is £200 max.

Finally backup planning on taking 12 x 16gb sandisk cards (1 a day then keep it somewhere safe) no laptop to take with me otherwise would backup to hard drive.
thepominlaw

Re: Compact Camera For Cruise

Postby Maestro » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:46 am

Will I get better IQ from a Panasonic LF1 or Sony HX60v

Probably the LF1, and since you're concerned about size, bonus that it's a bit smaller than the HX60v. However, since you're also concerned about zoom (or lack thereof) the HX60v's 30X blows away the LF1's 7X.

So I think you're going to have to decide how you prioritize those features/differences.
Maestro

Postby thepominlaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Actually bit of a change to plan now thinking IQ rather than zoom range and GPS now considering Sony rx100 or Panasonic LX7 thinking possibly Sony has the edge.
thepominlaw

Postby Maestro » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am

I think you'd be right about the RX100 III or IV. But either the original or second generation model might be a bit closer.
Maestro

Postby RexGig » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:07 am

thepominlaw wrote:Hi all,

After some guidance going on a 12 day cruise in the summer and wondering what camera to buy, I only want something small as I am traveling with a large group so won't have time to take my dslr.

I currently have available to be two Panasonic cameras, the TZ40 (great all rounder but IQ lacking) a LX3 my favourite camera but minimal zoom makes me think it's not idea to take.

Really disappointed with the TZ40 panorama mode get loads of banding in the sky so that's putting me off taking this.so I am left wondering what to do. Raw would be good and movies a must 1080p is ideal.

Will I get better IQ from a Panasonic LF1 or Sony HX60v, budget is £200 max.

Finally backup planning on taking 12 x 16gb sandisk cards (1 a day then keep it somewhere safe) no laptop to take with me otherwise would backup to hard drive.

Greetings! :)

I do not understand the part about "won't have time to take my dslr." A competent DSLR, with a proper lens for the task, is the fastest camera possible, the best for keeping up with a group. Yes, of course, changing lenses takes time, but if one suitable lens is selected for the day, that factor is eliminated. As for the camera body, higher-end DSLRs, with the emphasis on physical controls, rather than menu-diving, enable comparatively faster shooting. Of course, if one does not already have such a DSLR and a suitable lens, your stated budget may not be enough to acquire such gear. Even a consumer-level DSLR, however, will work with top-tier lenses, so lens rental is an option.

I have no familiarity with the cameras specified in your post, so cannot be helpful in that regard. The only compact camera I have found to be like-able is the Nikon Coolpix A, and it has a fixed-focal length 18.5mm lens, APS-C sensor, no AA filter, and a true Speedlight-compatible hot shoe, so it is not a typical Coolpix, and, lacking the ability to zoom, is probably not what most would want to use as a travel camera. I tried to learn to like the Sony RX100-series, more than once, based upon the glowing recommendations, but, personally, found them fiddly and confusing.

Carrying enough SD cards, to have one for each day, does seem to be a quite sensible strategy, rather than trying to bring a laptop.

I should add the disclaimer that I have yet to go on a cruise. I started reading this topic because I wanted to satisfy my personal curiosity. :) My Nikkor 24-70/2.8G is a superb road-trip zoom lens, on a "full-frame" Nikon D700, but I wanted to see what zoom ranges others have favored for cruises.
Canon 5Ds R/7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D3s/D700/FM3A/Coolpix A. Lens selection undergoing changes; some favorites: Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar, Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS and 135L, Nikkor 14-24/2.8G and 200/2 VR.
RexGig

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?