looking for camera with great video quality

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

looking for camera with great video quality

Postby mmp » Fri May 29, 2015 1:43 am

Hello, been forever since I have posted but here goes. My son (15) is really into shooting video and is quite good at it. I would like to purchase a DSLR or Mirrorless camera for him to use. Must take external mics well and I would like to be under $1800 for a starter kit of a camera, a couple of lenses and a decent microphone. Any help is appreciated and any brand will be considered. Thanks in advance.
E-620 14-42/3.5-4.6 & 40-150/4.0-5.6 each with Hoya UV filters, Hoya polarizing filter, 4 gig 300X Lexar CF card, 2X 2 gig Olympus M+ xD.
mmp

Re: looking for camera with great video quality

Postby Maestro » Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 am

With the usual caveat that nearly everyone would be better off shooting video on a dedicated video camera for a variety of reasons, I would most likely recommend a Panasonic G7. Or maybe, depending on what your son will be shooting, a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera.

And although both cameras do have external mic inputs, as you specified, I would strongly recommend going dual system, synching in post, and recording audio on something like a Zoom H6 or Tascam DR60.

HTH - Mark
Maestro

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?