best inexpensive low-light wide-angle handheld

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

best inexpensive low-light wide-angle handheld

Postby ushumgal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi everyone! I used to have a Sony DSC-HX5V, which I loved for its image quality and its wide angle, but unfortunately it has been lost, so I am in the market for a replacement.

My particular requirements are that it have good wide angle and low-light capabilities, a decent movie mode, and not cost much more than $200. Good image quality goes without saying of course.

I was thinking perhaps a Sony DSC-H70 or H90, Sony WX350, Canon ELPH 110 HS. I also wondered if the Canon SX520 might have significantly better low-light performance than these - it has a bigger lens, though I believe the image sensor is the same size.

Ultimately, I'd like to obtain a DSLR (maybe a Canon T3i), the large image sensors of which I am sure will handle low light much better than a handheld, but for now I will have to settle for something a bit more affordable.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
ushumgal

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?