Camera - hot/cold resistant

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Camera - hot/cold resistant

Postby jismake » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:02 am

Hi guys - I want to record video/ take pics of a product i am going to put in a hot/cold/humidity chamber.
How do i achieve this as normal camera cannot sustain high/low temp.

I am talking about 100 deg c and -40 deg c.

thanks
jis
jismake

Re: Camera - hot/cold resistant

Postby Bob Andersson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi jis,

Welcome to the forum.

My initial thought was to add some really good thermal insulation around the camera if it isn't going to be exposed to those temperature extremes for too long but that still leaves the lens exposed which would probably be an issue at the hot/humid end. A workable solution might be an underwater housing as that solves the humidity problem. If the rig has to spend a long time in the chamber then, provided it isn't too long, however you define that, you could pack thermal insulation around the outside of the underwater housing except, of course, near the lens. If you can command the camera to take the shots/video via Wi-Fi then you're set so long as the outside of the housing doesn't get all steamed up. Just an idea. Might work... :?

Bob.
Sony RX1R II. Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 + 1.4x T/C, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8, Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.
Bob Andersson

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?