Panasonic TZ40 or Canon SX700 HS?

The section for anyone buying a new camera who's wondering which brand to go for. If you've already decided on a brand, please post in that manufacturer's section!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Panasonic TZ40 or Canon SX700 HS?

Postby nzcg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

Hi all,

My dear old Panasonic TZ7 from 2009 finally broke down this weekend.

For my new camera I want to spend a little less money this time around. Through the fabulous reviews here on camera labs I narrowed it down to two contestants: TZ40 or Canon SX700 HS. The former currently costs AUD299 and the latter AUD280. Hence, money is not really a game changer here.

For me it comes down to the following pros/cons:

TZ40
Pro:
- touch screen
- better continuous shooting
- better battery life

SX700 HS:
Pros:
- 30 fold zoom
- "current generation" camera
- better video shooting at 1080

Would you guys agree with these pros and cons?
I'm leaning a little bit towards the panasonic, because of the touch screen and the better continuous shooting. Is the touch screen vastly superior when it comes to using the camera - especially in terms of focusing? What about continuous shooting - is there a great difference between the two?
And then again I'm very intrigued by the SX700's 30 fold zoom...

Lastly is there anything else I should take into consideration when buying either one of these two cameras?

Thanks very much for your help in advance
Chris
nzcg

Re: Panasonic TZ40 or Canon SX700 HS?

Postby Maestro » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 am

A quick thought: if the main appeal of the Canon is the longer zoom, I would note that even the Panasonic is 50% longer than the previous model you have. So how often have you wanted even more than 50% longer zoom in the past?

Mark
Maestro

Return to Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?