Truck bed coating = dry camera gear

If it's used to carry or protect photographic equipment, talk about it here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Truck bed coating = dry camera gear

Postby HopJack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Do you have a camera bag /backpack that allows water to leach through the bottom when you set it down. Or it's beginning to fray at the edges, or you would like to help prevent it from doing so?
Vinyl Polymer Spray.
16.5 ounce can costs about 8 or 9 USD's and goes a long way, and it's good for layering. If it begins to peel with wear; trim and touch it up.
HopJack

Postby HopJack » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 am

That's the bottom of a Kata 467i DSLR Rucksack sprayed with Vinyl Polymer. It stands up smart and i doubt it will soak through on wet ground
HopJack

Postby Gordon Laing » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:03 am

Nice tip!

How flexible is the material after it's all dried? Does it crack? Or smell? Or set-off airport alarms?!
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby HopJack » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:07 pm

It's rigid around the corners like a 1970's vinyl airline carry-on and those areas will eventually crack or chip, though it's easy to reinforce. The flat panel is flexible. That pack has 4 or 5 coats applied in 20- 30 minute intervals. The smell is potent for a week or so before it begins to dissipate. Next time i'll place garment in front of a fan that is pointed towards an open window to expedite

Smells kind of like Deet.
Last edited by HopJack on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HopJack

Postby HopJack » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I haven't passed through airport security since 1987
HopJack

Re: Truck bed coating = dry camera gear

Postby HopJack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 am

The spray-on vinyl is still adhered except for a few small chips around the edges that I haven't got around to repairing and probably never will. The pack remains upright well enough and can be set down on just about any wet/nasty surface. It took the better part of a month for the vinyl chemical smell to completely vanish - or I just didn't notice it anymore. The rest of the material (except for the straps) is coated with Filson oil cloth wax, because I need all the help available in this temperate rain forest.

Although there is a chance that rigid reinforced borders can dig into my lower back; I'll probably do the same vinyl treatment with my next ruck. cheers :hoisted beer:
HopJack

Re: Truck bed coating = dry camera gear

Postby pierovera » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 am

So it held up for a year? Really good :)
Gear: Canon SX20 IS, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Wishlist: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L
Visit me and leave me a comment in My Flickr :)

pierovera

Return to Bags, cases, straps and filters