Hiking backpack for camera and other stuff

If it's used to carry or protect photographic equipment, talk about it here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Hiking backpack for camera and other stuff

Postby bdbrew » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 am

I have a Nikon D90, one lens, external flash, maybe a tripod - that I want to carry on hiking trips, but I also need room for rain gear, water, change of clothes, snack. any recommendations?
bdbrew

Postby Caleb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

look up "lowpro.com" they have diffrent sizes for diffrent needs , :D they have some good backpacks
Caleb

Postby davidjohnson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 am

JanSport has the right hiking backpacks for you. You can find a local outfitter or shop at an online store.
davidjohnson

Postby Joris Van den Berghe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:46 pm

You should look at the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW :)...Perfect for your needs in my opinion :). Plenty of space in the top compartment as well for your camera gear, a CamelBak or so,...And they are very light as well :D!

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27769

www.lowepro/com/photosport
Sony α77V/VG-C77AM/α350/18-70/70-400 G SSM/NEX-5/18-55 OSS/Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW/CompuTrekker AW/Nova 140 AW/Street & Field gear/Toploader Pro 75 AW. And a huge wishlist...

My photos on Flickr...
Joris Van den Berghe

Postby scattolo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm

HI,
i'm looking for a backbag for hiking too.
That it seems good, but if i've understood the 200 has space only for a body plus a lens and the flash and it's too little for me.
scattolo

Postby Joris Van den Berghe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm

For the sake of clarity, it fits up to a pro DSLR (without grip) with a lens attached, and a flash, a small lens à la 50/1.8, 50/1.4, etc...It obviously depends on what lenses you use or want to take with you :).
Sony α77V/VG-C77AM/α350/18-70/70-400 G SSM/NEX-5/18-55 OSS/Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW/CompuTrekker AW/Nova 140 AW/Street & Field gear/Toploader Pro 75 AW. And a huge wishlist...

My photos on Flickr...
Joris Van den Berghe

Postby maxjj » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 am

I have come from hiking and then started taking a SLR with me. My preference is still to take a good sized daypack, properly designed for bushwalking and then putting the camera gear in that. I put it inside a waterproof bag.

I haven`t yet spotted a camera bag maker that makes a comfortable, strong, durable and well designed backpack, that doubles a good daypack.

I have got a tamrac expedition 5585, but I still rather use my proper hiking daypack.
Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic
maxjj

Backpacks / Daypacks and Camera Gear

Postby Escalante » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 am

Wearing a daypack / backpack with sufficient space to carry all your hiking / camping gear plus your camera gear should be sufficient - at least for purposes of conveying camera, lenses and related accessories. Tripods can be strapped one side of a daypack / backpack using available straps.

At the moment, I hike using a Gregory Jade 35 Daypack, which has a 36 Liter capacity (this is a woman's daypack, by the way). I place basic camera accessories in a Sea to Summit waterproof stuff sack. During my most recent hike, the Canon Rebel was hanging around my neck and my Canon Powershot was in my pocket. It is a little challenging if I keep the Rebel DSLR in the daypack and have to stop and open the pack to retrieve it each time I want to take photos. I would like to find a very comfortable neck strap, however, to replace the present Canon strap.

I do not believe there is such a thing as a specialized "camera-related" backpack or daypack. Invest in a comfortable daypack / backpack with good back support, comfortable and adjustable shoulder and other straps, etc. There are a number of great manufacturers out there. I favor Gregory, but Osprey, Deuter, Arcteryx, and others make comfortable, durable packs. They all have different design features with various access points, straps, external pockets, etc.

The name of the game, in my opinion, is improvisation for photographic purposes. Comfort, durability and versatility are important factors for me when it comes to choosing a pack. I have to lug it around all day, and I'm not interested in being overly sore at the end of a long day.

If there is someone out there who has designed a special system for how they organize their photographic gear within the confines of a good backpack / daypack, I would be interested in learning how they set it up. Like all backpacking planning, one needs to pick and choose what they are going to take along, especially if it is going to be a multi-day outing.

Thanks for any suggestions. :D
Escalante

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Agree with the 2 posts directly above... here is what I wrote on the topic just a short while ago...

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28676
Canon 7D + 50D + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM + EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Pelican // Black Rapid // Think Tank // Manfrotto // Garmin

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr
Wolfsong

Return to Bags, cases, straps and filters