Pixelmator

Photoshop, RAW converters and photo management? Editing movie clips? Discuss it all here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Pixelmator

Postby Savlet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Pixelmator please?

I took some photographs yesterday in both JPEG and RAW formats so that I could see how they compare during editing later on. When I open up a RAW file in Pixelmator the file name at the top of the window shows it as a .jpg file. Does Pixelmator convert RAW to JPEG when it opens up an image? The photos are saved in iPhoto which clearly shows the different file types, so I know the RAW files have been uploaded.

Apologies for my ignorance but I've no experience with RAW files or using Photoshop, of which Pixelmator is meant to be a very close version. The RAW and JPEG photos look just the same when opened up in Pixelmator, so I've no way of knowing (that I can see) if the RAW file is still the original version. The Pixelmator online tutorials are not making anything clearer for me.

Many thanks,

Sarah
Camera: Panasonic Lumix GX1
Lenses: Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f4-5.6 and Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
with adapter: Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 24mm f2.5
Savlet

Re: Pixelmator

Postby Gordon Laing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Sorry Sarah, I've not used - or even heard of - Pixelmator.

Good luck!
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Re: Pixelmator

Postby Savlet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 pm

I've managed to find a bit more information about Pixelmator, which I thought I'd post up here in case anyone else is interested: http://www.ronmartblog.com/2012/05/ask- ... about.html. It's only for Mac users though, which is a shame as its reasonably priced for something to get you started. Available from the App Store.

Ron's overview video is not the most exciting, but you get the point...if you stay awake :?

Pixelmator's not great for RAW files, as I've found out here, but for anyone starting out and wanting to try some editing, it's a good inexpensive option, so I'll stick with this for now until my skills improve (ever hopeful) to make it worth splashing out on Photoshop or something similar.
Camera: Panasonic Lumix GX1
Lenses: Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f4-5.6 and Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
with adapter: Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 24mm f2.5
Savlet

Return to Imaging and Video Editing Software