To deter a thief...

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

To deter a thief...

Postby csrussell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 am

So, I wasn't entirely sure where to put this but Travel Photography seemed fitting. Does anybody have any tips on how to discourage thieves from wanting to take your gear? Other than the basic tips, I'm wondering if anybody has any creative ideas on how to "uglify" your DSLR and lenses. I heard of a guy on another website who painted his cameras some nasty green color and didn't have any more stolen cameras! Of course, I'd much rather have a temporary solution, such as wrapping painters tape on the lenses. Or maybe even slapping on stupid looking stickers on. I'm going on vacation in the Caribbean in a couple of months. I'd love to see some pictures of what you guys can come up with.
csrussell

Postby Shagrath » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 am

Probably wouldn't want to put tape on it. It could leave a sticky residue. I think I'd just keep the neck strap on at all times and put it in an inconspicuous bag once I'm done shooting. I'd make sure to securely fasten the bags zippers or clips. Make sure it's a bag that doesn't look like it contains valuable gear. I think you'll be fine if you keep your eyes on your gear at all times. No need to ruin your camera over it I hope. Never leave your bag sitting next to you out of sight, make sure that you'd feel it if someone tried to unzip/clip the bag. Try putting your arm over the bag while you're sitting or walking around.

I'd just hate to ruin my camera for one trip. I'd never paint it green lol, just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Shagrath

Postby csrussell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:50 am

I mentioned painter's tape because (to my knowledge) it won't leave residue when removed. Not 100% sure though. When you apply heat to adhesives, they tend to just melt everywhere...

"House painter's tape is rated by how many days it can be left up without leaving residue on the surface being masked. It is available in 1, 3, 7, 14, 30, and 60-day ratings, with the 7 and 14-day tapes being the most common."
- Wikipedia
Last edited by csrussell on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
csrussell

Postby Sdrummer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 am

To be honest, I think that by adding stuff to your camera, (i.e. stickers etc'), you are actually making it stand out more in the crowd.

My suggestion is to keep it around your neck, and if you do put it into a bag or something, make sure the bag is securely fastened around your body.

Also, carry a tripod as a weapon of self-defense :lol: :wink: 8)
Sdrummer

Postby Shagrath » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:55 am

Well, some of the surfaces on your camera may get pretty warm and cause the adhesive to melt onto your camera. I just wouldn't feel good about leaving tape on it for more than a few hours...

I do like the tripod idea though :D
Shagrath

Postby csrussell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 am

True, it might draw more attention. I'm just trying to think of a way to make it look cheap, and not worth stealing whenever I do pull it out. Of course, I think that any DSLR would be worth stealing.
csrussell

Postby Shagrath » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:51 am

I agree, I think anyone is able to tell that it's a DSLR therefore valuable.
Shagrath

Postby SuperVF1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:11 am

And that's why I carry a pepper spray and a 300,000 volt stun pen on my camera bag.
SuperVF1

Postby Shagrath » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:17 am

SuperVF1 wrote:And that's why I carry a pepper spray and a 300,000 volt stun pen on my camera bag.

Sounds like the best method.
Shagrath

Postby csrussell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:39 am

SuperVF1 wrote:And that's why I carry a pepper spray and a 300,000 volt stun pen on my camera bag.

Well that's a thought!
csrussell

Postby SuperVF1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:50 pm

csrussell wrote:

Well that's a thought!

Yep, just be careful not to put those things on your carry on. Or be careful going into a 'sensitive' area, as it can get confiscated. My wife recently went to a Palin rally and got her spray taken from her camera bag.

I have the Fastpack 200 and I place the pepper spray on the cell phone holder in the strap, and have the stun pen on my pocket. God forbid if one should find themselves in a situation, I think if you aim the spray on one hand, while the crackling sound of 300,000 volts on the other hand will deter most thieves away lol. That being said, nothing can replace our first and most useful line of defense, and that's situational awareness.

BTW, the spray cost me 10 bucks and the stun pen cost me 20 bucks online.
SuperVF1

Return to Travel photography