Camera insurance for long trip

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Camera insurance for long trip

Postby jateen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:50 am

Hi everyone,

I will soon be going on a long trip to Australia (and possibly take a few days in Singapore, New Zealand, Thailand) for about 6 months.

I will be taking along my D300, lens (I only have a single lens which is the 18-200), speedlight and 2 memory cards.

I am therefore quite keen to get everything insured before I leave. I was wondering if anyone could advise on a good insurance company that could insure my equipment for that duration and in all those places.

Thanks
Jateen.
jateen

Postby 0eyvind » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 am

That sounds amazing! Hope you have a great time!
The insurance depends on your location, as there's different companies around the world.
And do you have a laptop do backup your cards to, because if not i think it'll be really hard to fill up only two cards in 6 months :o

0eyvind
0eyvind

Postby jateen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 am

Hi 0eyvind,

Yeah, i'm really looking forward to it but there's so much to think about before hand!
I recently went to Canada for a week. I came back with over 1800 photos! Sorting through them was a total nightmare so i'll try and take my pictures more carefully this time around :)

I'm taking 2 8GB cards and a laptop but i'm still thinking of how and where to backup the photos. If my only copy remains on the laptop and the HD suddenly dies, then i'm in trouble. I'm possibly thinking of an external HDD (2.5 inch) to use as a back up and that should be small enough to bring back to the UK when i'm done.

Regarding the insurance, i'm based in the UK and i've contacted E & L insurance who say they only insure for overseas trips which are a maximum of 90 days. This is a bit of a problem for me

I'm thinking that i can't be the first person who's gone abroad for a long period with expensive camera equipment. I'm wondering what do the other people normally do for their insurance.

Regards
Jateen.
jateen

Postby 0eyvind » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:21 am

That reminds i still have to sort photos from my recent trip. Haven't even loaded them from the laptop to my desktop yet :P
But you always have the possibility to sort them during the vacation. Like when you're about to sleep, or just don't have anything to do.

External HD's can be found farily cheap at the moment. Just be sure to get one that's big enough.

You can't be the first one, no.
Bwt, which insurance type were you thinking of? One that protects thiefs or just if you e.g. drop your camera? Or both?
And it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world not to have the insurance. You will just have to buy some protective bag, a lock for your gear when it's at home and stuff like that.

And my advice, begin packing a week (or more) before, so that if you forget to pack something, you have a week to pack it.

0eyvind
0eyvind

Postby jateen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:14 am

0eyvind,

I think my only option would be to sort them during the trip otherwise i'd be looking at another 6 months dedicated to going through the pics on my return!

Regarding the insurance, I gave photoguard.co.uk a call. It turns out that if you take out the worldwide cover they offer, they cover you for very long trips anywhere as long as it's within your policy period.
Like any other kinds of insurance, they say that if you damage your equipment then you need to send the bits to them as evidence. They'll then attempt to repair it or replace it if it's uneconomical to fix.

If it's stolen then there needs to be evidence of a forced entry (if in a car) and police reports etc....

I thought this maybe useful for anyone else in a similar situation.

Thanks for your help 0eyvind.

Regards
Jateen
jateen

Return to Travel photography