Seoul, South Korea

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Seoul, South Korea

Postby soccerboy08 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

I am an 18 year old senior in high school. At my school we are required to do a senior project. I love photography and am doing a photographic journal on Seoul, Korea. Well. i have a Nikon D200 with the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. I am going to buy a wide angle lense also to cover the areas the standard zoom is weak. I am looking to buy a Tamron SP AF17-35MM F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF). do you guys think with these two lenses i would be well equipt when traveling to Korea. Any suggestions while there, help on project, ideas are AWESOME> i love feedback. Thanks
soccerboy08

Postby thomasrichards » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:20 pm

... not related to photographic equipment, but will help with your photos, is to learn some basic phrases in Korean if you don't know yet... but i assume you do already since you've chosen South Korea, and have either been fascinated with it's culture and heritage for some time or you have some family ties there, but i digress...

... your images will look so much more natural and "honest" if you have communicated with your subject in their mother toungue before taking the photo... they will open up to you so much more... you have nothing to lose.

woops... forgot, WELCOME TO CAMERA LABS :lol:
thomasrichards

Re: Seoul, South Korea

Postby Photoj » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:29 pm

soccerboy08 wrote:I am an 18 year old senior in high school. At my school we are required to do a senior project. I love photography and am doing a photographic journal on Seoul, Korea. Well. i have a Nikon D200 with the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. I am going to buy a wide angle lense also to cover the areas the standard zoom is weak. I am looking to buy a Tamron SP AF17-35MM F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF). do you guys think with these two lenses i would be well equipt when traveling to Korea. Any suggestions while there, help on project, ideas are AWESOME> i love feedback. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is yes but not with that Tamron. You've already got the coverage with the 18-200mm with the exception of 1mm, which is nothing. If you're looking for something wider than your 18-200 then you ought to be looking at ultra-wides. The Nikon 12-24, 14-24, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16, 12-24 are all potential options. It's worth reading up on those to see which one suits you best.

Whereabouts in South Korea are you headed to? If you were to ask for locational advice, I can only give recommendations in and around Seoul.
Photoj

Postby popo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm

I went to Seoul earlier this year... but it was before I had a DSLR so I do look back and think of what could have been. Some pics from my p&s are further down in this subforum. How far I've gone since then...

For places and street activity, you will never run out. There is always something happening. The public transport is cheap and extensive so you wont be limited there either. I got a T-money card (charge it and it debits on each use) and used the underground system to get everywhere. Never needed a taxi apart from when I landed and was too lazy/tiered to figure out the very affordable airport bus.

Language wise, only knowing English is a struggle as not many there speak it, even in more tourist areas.

If more specific place ideas are desired, I can write more later.
Canon DSLRs: 7D2, 7D1, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L, 100L, MP-E 65, EF-S 10-18, 15-85
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 50/1.4A, 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
popo

Return to Travel photography