Ngong Ping 360 & Lantau Island, Hong Kong

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Ngong Ping 360 & Lantau Island, Hong Kong

Postby Photoj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:20 am

Having made comments on photos in various threads I thought it might be fair that I should lay an image or two for critiquing. Photography's not always about taking images in good weather...I've not watermarked these images for viewing as I think it might take something away. Please respect copyright.

Taken at 50mm, 1/250 at f/4.5. ISO 200.

Taken at 48mm, 1/20 at f/5.6. ISO 200.
Last edited by Photoj on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photoj

Postby emp93 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:05 am

is it just me or does the first one look very noisy even at 200 iso
emp93

Postby Photoj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:00 am

It's not noise - from this size it's harder to tell but that's due to the mist droplets.
Photoj

Postby Kenneth Skou » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi photoj,

I really like both shots - interesting compositions and weather effect going on. The skewed angles or the tilt of the shots gives an abstract feel to them as well, which goes hand in hand with the soft focus.

The first one is my favorite and I wonder if would enhance the impression or feel of the image if it was either in B&W or perhaps another color&white color-combo.

The subtle "texture" that the mist gives I'm sure is even more appreciable at larger sizes.

The second one appears almost "symbolic" with the moving people out of focus as well. Has an ominous feel to it. Much the same way I'm wondering if it's feel would be enhanced by a more monochrome look.

Both very interesting to look at - thanks for sharing!

Cheers :-)
Kenneth Skou

Postby Photoj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks for your comments LahLahSr. I've taken heed and here are the images reworked in monochrome. I think you're right about the first image needing the reworking. I'm a bit more neutral on the second.

EDIT: 1st image now fixed
Last edited by Photoj on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Photoj

Postby Kenneth Skou » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:16 am

Hi Photoj,

I do see what you mean about the second one. I think I feel like you do.

Unfortunately the first one shows "currently unavailable" for me.

Kenneth Skou

Postby Photoj » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:24 am

Ta. I don't know what happened to the link; I've edited the link and it should now work. Thanks again for your comments.
Photoj

Postby Joey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:10 am

first one looks scary :shock: ....can't distinguish grains of noise from mist :?
Joey

Postby Kenneth Skou » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Photoj,

yeah..now I can see it. Not to suggest that the original colored one isn't good, but I like the B&W edition more - it has more "impact" and I can imagine that a large version is even better. Nice shot - you certainly have a flair for tilting I must say.

I hope you will forgive me for blatantly plagiarizing your technique - I will have to give it a try.

Kenneth Skou

Postby Photoj » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:18 pm

LahLahSr wrote:I like the B&W edition more - it has more "impact" and I can imagine that a large version is even better. Nice shot - you certainly have a flair for tilting I must say.

I hope you will forgive me for blatantly plagiarizing your technique - I will have to give it a try.

You were right about the first image needing the work and I'm thankful for the suggestion; I'm quite surprised I didn't try it beforehand.

Regarding tilting, you'll find an entry in my blog regarding how I go about tilting (see here). When there's time I do usually take a landscape or portrait orientated version as a backup to the tilts. It can be quite a useful tool when combined with leading lines to give a dynamic variation.
Photoj

Postby woop » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:57 am

The second photo really looks better in color. When in monochrome, the people in the foreground appear so bright.
woop

Postby smiles77 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:27 pm

i like the color versions better.

i simply love the 1st photo, its almost like it makes me nausious, "DONT LOOK DOWN!" haha. great stuff.

the 2nd im not to fond of, i think the people in the forground might have ruined it for me.

thanks for sharing! :D
smiles77

Postby lostmyway » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 am

I wonder if would enhance the impression or feel of the image if it was either in B&W or perhaps another color&white color-combo.
lostmyway

Return to Travel photography