Camera's and airports

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Camera's and airports

Postby eddcunningham » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Okay, I'm flying out to Rhodes (Greece) tomorrow and I intend on keeping my camera with me the whole time.

Is there anything I should be aware of as far as security goes?
I also remember hearing something about x-ray machines murdering cameras, is this still a problem?

Replies as quick as possible please folks =).
Thanks!
eddcunningham

Postby magic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:12 pm

nooo they may ask you to remove camera from bag for a scan, same with laptop, and other electronics. nothing is gonna kill your camera, don't worry be happy.
magic

Postby 2610ksj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I've had half a dusin cameras going through Airport security scans through the years, and were all fine afterwards. :)

... And also, if it ruined cameras, why would the Airport use the tecnique? So don't worry. Have a nice holiday!!
2610ksj

Postby Will-McK » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Cool i'm going on holiday next week and i was wondering the same thing!

btw Rhodes is fantastic, i went in 2004 and stopped in the Elektra Palace hotel, (something like that)

Anyways enjoy your hols :D
Will-McK

Postby csrussell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:27 pm

I wonder what would happen if you had it set to a long exposure when it runs through the x-ray... The sensor might not pickup anything, but it could cause some interesting interference with the internal circuitry.

If you feel like risking your D80, let me know :P

I suspect you'd get something like this...
csrussell

Postby Will-McK » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:34 pm

csrussell wrote:I wonder what would happen if you had it set to a long exposure when it runs through the x-ray... I'm sure the sensor wouldn't pickup anything, but it could cause some interesting interference with the internal circuitry

If you feel like risking your D80, let me know :P

hmmmmm i don't think i would try this lol. :D
Will-McK

Postby Gregory.Rotter » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Well, well, I'm the resident Greek around here so... :P As far as Greek airport security goes, you've got nothing to worry about, it's pretty relaxed compared to the UK, where they ask you to take your shoes off and so on lol.

When you go to Rhodes, don't forget to visit;

Elli Beach (or as I like to call it 'boobie beach', lots of topless women mostly swedish etc(i thought up that name when i was like 14)) That and the water's crystal clear. There's also a cool dive platform that is great fun to jump off. Just don't look down before you jump :P

Then there's the Old Town. As far as touristy gifts goes, don't buy anything in a rush, chances are another store will have the exact same thing cheaper just further down.

There's a scuba diving boat in the main harbour area so you could go out for a Padi Discover Scuba trip.

There are also small ferries that go out to Turkey for the day, as well as the island of Symi.

Other than that, have fun. Don't be surprised if you hear the word Malaka a lot. It's similar to the Brits and the word 'Mate' (stereotypical i know), except the word Malaka means Wanker. It can have a negative meaning, i.e shouting it at a bad driver, or a friend way ; 'come on re malaka, lets go for a beer'.

Other that, some top phrases depending on your age might be;

oraia vizia - nice t*ts
popo ena koloraki - damn what an ass
pou einai i toualeta - wheres the toilet
evcharisto - thank you
nai - yes
ochi -no

Hope I was helpful :wink: :P
Gregory.Rotter

Postby Will-McK » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Gregory.Rotter, nice tips,
do you have any tips for athens as i am visting it in a week when i go on my cruise.
Thanks
Will
Will-McK

Return to Travel photography