Hofuf City

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Postby palakaboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm

beautiful place...

i may be perverted...but there are some very "sexy" shots in this thread. hahaha

great exposures. not too bright...i love it.
palakaboy

Postby zorro » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:46 pm

I think the captures are great but they could certainly benefit from being toned down somewhat. A tad more contrast wouldn't hurt.

Zorro 8)
http://zorrofox4.deviantart.com/

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head
zorro

Postby Japokskee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:11 am

thanks guys for your comments :) i will keep in mind all your suggestions :D
Japokskee

Postby Cam-I-Am » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:15 pm

One other suggestion about the landscape photos. I get the impression the landscape doesn't offer a great many varieties in views. Especially as far as colours are concerned. So in order to get that greater variety you could try to compensate for that by being more creative in the composition of your shots. For one thing maybe you can look for interesting objects/shapes to position in the foreground.

And if you want to see the effect of the midtone compression I mentioned I could post an example to illustrate the effect. It's quite striking.

Ben
Cam-I-Am

Postby Japokskee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:14 am

please post some samples. :)
Japokskee

Postby Cam-I-Am » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 am

To make it easier to view the effects I have put four frames in an animated GIF file. The reduction to 256 colours doesn't do much damage here because of the limited colour palette of the image.

The first frame and the lightest is the original. Rather overexposed.

The second has a very effective 'quick fix' applied. A single adjustment in the histogram with the slider on the right as shown in the screen capture (from Paint Shop Pro). Just sliding it down to minus 15 generates the second frame. The nice thing is that it doesn't affect the 'blistering sun' feel of the image because especially the brightest parts are unaffected which other histogram settings will affect. It produces a quite acceptable result. Let's say perhaps 85% of the achievable result with a single change. It's an image you could 'live with'. It doesn't recover the blown out details mainly in lower parts of the rock face and the sand in the foreground. There is not very much detail there but it can be improved.

The third is done by adjusting four parameters. No midtone expansion. Here the low point is raised to +41, Gamma lowered to 0.74 and loss in brightness and contrast by these are compensated for with settings of B+20 and C+20. With four parameters there are already a sheer endless amount of variations in which you can apply them. There is a noticeable recovery of the blown out highlights in the lower part of the image. Mostly in the rock face. In order to recover more detail in the sand more HDR like manipulations would probably be in order if you have a RAW image.

In the fourth frame on top of the four changes I added a small amount of midtone expansion of -2. I guess there is a considerable amount of personal preference that will determine which histogram settings you'll like most in the end result. But many of the images you posted here could be improved by making some changes there.

Success.

Ben

(Edit - Typo)
Last edited by Cam-I-Am on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cam-I-Am

Postby Japokskee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:23 am

wow. thanks a lot ben :) i will surely try this one and give it a shot again.

thank you very much. i really appreciate your time and effort teaching us newbies in photography.
Japokskee

Postby Japokskee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:32 am

ben,

i tried it now with my capture nx2 :)

check my photo below :wink:

Japokskee

Postby Cam-I-Am » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 am

Much better than the original. The sunny parts are still lacking in detail but because the photo is overexposed it is more difficult to salvage this without it affecting the other parts of the image. If you shot in RAW you should be able to recover more.

Did you also tweak some of the colour settings? Saturation for instance? Your processed image looks warmer in tint. I restricted myself to just tweaking the luminance part of the image. But maybe the different algorithms used by different software can influence colour differently.

Just keep experimenting with these settings and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. But it is always preferable to get the exposure (close to) right in-camera. It saves on the time you have to spend fixing things in PP.

Success.

Ben
Cam-I-Am

Postby Japokskee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 am

thank you!

yup... i will keep on practicing and shoot with different exposure setting on my camera.

:wink:
Japokskee

Previous

Return to Travel photography