Balboa Park in San Diego, First HDR Shots

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Balboa Park in San Diego, First HDR Shots

Postby Stewmander » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:41 am

Hello guys! Finally had a chance to take some more photos this past weekend in San Diego. I posted some shots on my flickr site below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronstew/

I also tried some HDR shots, and they came out OK I think for a first try. Any advice or tips? I am thinking of upgrading my kit lens to something better...perhaps one with IS. Thanks for looking!

Aaron
Stewmander

Postby Sdrummer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:38 am

Hi Aaron..

Overall, I think you did a fine job with your trip and your photography.

The HDRs are not too bad, I just recommend that you keep taking more and more and continue to practice with different outcomes and more edits after tonemapping.

But again, overall, fine work.

Best,
-Sean.
Sdrummer

Postby Stewmander » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks for the comments =]. I have no real idea what I am doing in tone mapping, I just clicked the tone map option in photomatix and played around withe the options to see what they did, and just eyeballed it. Then I got lazy and just used the default settings for a few =P. I think I am out growing the kit lens, both in its focal length and optic quality...
Stewmander

Postby Sdrummer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:35 am

I'm assuming you have a Canon, using the 18-55mm kit lens, right?
Sdrummer

Postby Stewmander » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Sdrummer wrote:I'm assuming you have a Canon, using the 18-55mm kit lens, right?

Correct. I am using the Canon Rebel 350D/XT with the kit 18-55 lens, and am looking for a good upgrade...I have read Gordon's upgrade reviews, but I want something with a little more zoom, I am looking at the Canon 28-135 IS lens. I read somewhere on this forum that it got just OK reviews though. Are there any similar non Canon lenses with IS? I also heard about a Sigma lens coming out with something like 18-200 with IS...
Stewmander

Postby Sdrummer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Stewmander wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:I'm assuming you have a Canon, using the 18-55mm kit lens, right?

Correct. I am using the Canon Rebel 350D/XT with the kit 18-55 lens, and am looking for a good upgrade...I have read Gordon's upgrade reviews, but I want something with a little more zoom, I am looking at the Canon 28-135 IS lens. I read somewhere on this forum that it got just OK reviews though. Are there any similar non Canon lenses with IS? I also heard about a Sigma lens coming out with something like 18-200 with IS...

It depends on how much you are ready to spend for an upgrade.

If you want a very strong upgrade, then you are best to look at the L line. Things like the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. Maybe you want to get into macro, then a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens would be great.

It really depends on what you plan to use it for and how much it matters/you want/can spend.

Check eBay or Craigslist (if you are familiar) for good deals on lenses and equipment.

Best,
-Sean.
Sdrummer

Postby Stewmander » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:12 am

yeah, I would like to get an L lens, but I think they are too expensive for me right now, considering I don't get a chance to take photos that often. I also want to have some wide angle options wiht a general purpose lens.
Stewmander

Postby Sdrummer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 am

In that case, I think you should see how much you are willing to spend, and check reviews/prices for lenses with the focal range that you are looking for.

You might want an 18-200, you might want a 70-300, you might want a 10-20!

Check out reviews and compatible lenses.
Sdrummer

Return to Travel photography