Novice needs help getting started in travel photopraphy

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Novice needs help getting started in travel photopraphy

Postby deritastudio » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:25 am

I'm a novice photographer who loves travel, but I need some input.

For a couple years I've taken my old 4 megapixel Kodak Easyshare Z700 with me on my travels, but I feel that I've maxed out the technical ability of this point and shoot camera. So when it finally died the other week, I didn't have a lot of money to spend so I decided to get a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens as a replacement.

I'm wanting to know what are some highly recommended accessories that I will need for doing travel photography. I already have a decent tripod and four 2GB SD cards. I'm thinking of getting something like a Gorilla Pod for times when I can't/don't want to take a tripod. I've heard I should get a UV filter and pretty much keep it on the lens to help protect it? Also, is a circular polarizer filter a must? I'm very concerned being caught out in a rain storm; how can I protect the camera? What kind of camera bag do you recommend that is compact, tough, and portable? Anything else I need to keep on me? Thanks for your advice. Also, I've included a few of my photos with the Z700 as a point of reference as far as my current travel photography. I still have a lot to learn, cheers!

deritastudio

Postby alex168 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 am

Hello, well honestly i think your set with that equipment that you got right there, i dont knw if you really need a gorrilla tripod! i mean when i dont have a tripod which i dont, i find places to set my camera down and it works just fine there are sometimes when a tripod would be great but ehh what can u do about it!

The lens that you got with ur D40 is lens that will work great with what your planning on doing, give you a relative big wide angel shot while at the same time give you some rather close ups and some pretty decent macro shots!

cheers
alex168

Postby HS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:25 pm

i use a lowepro bag, and i think its a quality bag.

the have bags in all sizes so you can visit the website for more info.

8)
HS

Postby deritastudio » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm still uncertain about what type of bag to get. I want to be able to carry the camera with lens attached and can be quickly accessed. I would like to be able to carry a second lens also. Water resistant would be good. I like the Think Tank holster and urban disguise bags, and Lowepro Slingshot. Any advice/opinion on a bag?

EDIT: Didn't see your reply. How is the Lowepro for protection from rain? Should I take a couple large freezer Ziplock bags just in case?
deritastudio

Postby alex168 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm

I got one of those lowerpro bags, i can fit camera body + attached lens to it along with the SB 600 or a another lens! which is pretty much all i need camera wise, then i also have room for extra battery, ipod, wallet, some water! but i cant seem to find it on the web the bag i got! but its realtive small about the size of 15cm by 20cm or something :P
alex168

Postby HS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:29 pm

here is my bag, a lowepro nova 4 AW (all weather i think)

(the picture is from the internet)

HS

Postby deritastudio » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks. I decided to go with the Lowepro SlingShot 100 all-weather.
deritastudio

Postby Gordon Laing » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi deritastudio, those are some great photos you've got there.

I personally find the gorillapod very handy for longer exposures when I'm travelling. And I always carry a polariser and UV filters, but only use the latter when i think the lens may be at risk. Lens hoods offer surprisingly good protection from sideways blows while not placing an optical element in the light path.

PS - if you're after advice on using your DSLR, check out our sister site www.dslrtips.com !
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby deritastudio » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks. I remember in Japan lugging around my tripod at night to take photos wasn't very fun (all 4 photos above were using a tripod), and there are usually signs or handrails or something I can use a gorilla pod on.

I got a sale on a circular polarizer, UV haze, and since the 3rd was free I got a neutral density filter. Thought it might be fun to experiment with.

I actually found this site via the dslrtips site.
deritastudio

Postby badlyoverdrawnboy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Just to echo what Gordon said, I'd really recommend a Gorillapod, cheap and so very worth it. I've taken it on all my travels recently and have hardly ever felt like I wished I had a full tripod instead. For those few shots you might not get due to not having a rest at a suitable height are worth missing for the convenience of not having to carry a tripod in your luggage/on your person
badlyoverdrawnboy

Return to Travel photography