A week in Rome

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

A week in Rome

Postby badlyoverdrawnboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:46 am

I'm going to Rome for a week on Sunday. Does anyone have any tips for where and when to capture really interesting photos? Obviously there are thousands of sights to see, but I'd like to see if I can get something other than the typical tourist snapshots. I'm looking forward in particular to panoramic views of the city, and also to using my new wide-angle lens for interesting perspectives of the buildings. I've actually been a bit disappointed with my wide-angle when using it for landscapes so far as there seems to be too much foreground and sky, with the interesting stuff too far away, so I'm going to try it with some closer subjects this time.

Any useful tips?
badlyoverdrawnboy

Postby grahamnp » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:03 pm

If you don't like too much foreground and sky, you can crop the top and bottom so that you get a really wiiiide image. I personally like foreground detail but I realise it is a subjective thing.
grahamnp

Postby alex168 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:24 pm

Ohh Rome a nice city, you can try to grab a ncie shot of that fountaine i dont knw what it is called, its really famous but when i was there last summer it was packed with people so try hitting the early hours, the colosuem would be nice to see at sunset/sunriese, not to mention the "gallerias" they have all over the place really niec detalining in the cealing potencial HDR iamges....

loads of really nice squares, and the famous stairs of "Cassanova" would be nice, those stairs r really big and are just infront of square....thats all i can recall from now
alex168

Postby Paukl » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

My tip would be to get the real crowdpleasers, like the colloseum, at sunrise as opposed to sunset. At sunrise (if you can manage to get up that early ;)) you're more likely to get a good shot because it won't be so crowded yet.
You could also try for some nice shots that contrast modern-day rome with ancient time rome, scooters in front and ancient buildings in the background for instance. That's what surprised me most when I was there.
Good luck and have fun!
flickr
Canon 5D + 17-40 F4L + 50 F1.4 + 70-200 F2.8L
Velbon Sherpa 200R
Paukl

Postby Rogersrus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Rome is an amazing city. You can walk from corner to corner in a couple of hours. Watch your camera gear. I had a couple of teens try to get into my camera bag on the metro there. The vatican is not open on Sundays. You will have to see the Cistine Chapel but get there early or you will be in line for a while. The carrage rides are a rip-off. Cost me over $80 for about 20 minutes. I have photos posted at http://www.rogersrus.com/Photos/Rome%2013-16%20Jan%202006/index.html . They were taken with a point and shoot. This was prior to buying my DSLR. You can get some great shots from the top of St Peter's Basilica. Well worth the few Euros to go up. Enjoy the trip, I am looking forward to seeing your photos. Can you tell I liked Rome?
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby Gordon Laing » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 pm

As the others say, Rome is awesome - I'd just walk everywhere and take back streets - there's monuments and interesting buildings at every turn!

As for a city view, there's a good one (albeit commonly photographed) from the Dome of St. Peter's Basilica - that's a compulsory stop anyway, and the interior is lovely, especially with sun streaming in...

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Viewfromdome1.jpg
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby badlyoverdrawnboy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm back now and had a great time. Rome is a great place to wander about - as Gordon says, there's something to see on every street. One thing I couldn't get over, however, was the amount of traffic. The place desperately needs a congestion charge. It's not just the number of cars and mopeds that amazed me, it's the fact that they go everywhere. The whole place is one big road!

Anyway, I must have over 1000 pictures to sort through, which is taking me quite a bit of time as I'm now very busy at work, but I will post some of my favourites on here when I've sorted through them.
badlyoverdrawnboy

Postby Rogersrus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:37 am

I personally can not wait to see them. I just got back from Gibraltar and Morocco. I have a punch of pictures to get through also. I will post them when I get them organized.
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby badlyoverdrawnboy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:32 pm

I cannot believe how long it's taken me to sort through these photos, but here we are at last. I came back to a particularly busy period at work, and realised I had over 1000 pictures to sift through, edit, delete, merge to HDRs, crop, tweak or, in some cases, do nothing at all. So here are a few, and you can see a lot more by clicking on my Flickr link

38mm f4.0

31mm f4.0

badlyoverdrawnboy

Postby badlyoverdrawnboy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Sorry for posting so many, but I found it so hard knowing which ones to leave out.

I found my wide angle lens really came into itself on this trip. It was great for shots inside all of those churches with their incredible ceilings, usually mounted on a gorillapod and pointed upwards. Also, as you can see above, I like the result of shooting a scene wide open at 10mm and then making a thin crop across the middle of the shot to create panoramas. And then when I got to the Colosseum - well, let's just say, the bigger the building, the more I love this lens. It was great knowing that I could take these pictures that the average camera could not, and could fit everything in with room to spare. The lens didn't leave the body that day!
badlyoverdrawnboy

Postby Will-McK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Hey BadlyOverDrawnBoy,
Excellent photos, the highlight for me when i visited Rome was the trevi fountain, i haven't had chance to look at some of your other pics yet but i will do.
Will-McK

Postby kost80 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 am

I think your Rome pictures are really well done. I like especially that panoramic shot St. Peter square and Collosseum. You must have gotten up very early to have no tourists :)
Well, I also recently came back from my Italian trip and took some nice night shots of Rome. There are endless number of picture opportunities - it is just a matter of time and creativity. Here is what I've got:

Colloseum

Costel St. Angelo

Piazza San Pietro

Ponte Vecchio in Florence

Piazza Santissima Annunziata

Florence panorama

No postprocessing apart from a little bit of sharpening.

More on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/28707981@N03/
kost80

Return to Travel photography