Photography in the cold...

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Photography in the cold...

Postby Shane Collins » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi everyone, so i'm new here and i wanted to ask a question...

Soon i hope to be going to vermont in the us. So it'll be pretty cold and snowy. I know most glass when you come in from the warm such as your glasses they will fog up. So will this happen to my camera lenses? is there anything i can do to prevent this or atleast stop it casuing any damage to my camera+lenses? (i don't have a camera yet but i'm getting a Nikon D300)

Ok, thanks to all who read and reply :) Take care.
Shane Collins

Postby TheHawk1973 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:33 pm

I had this happent o me on the night of the Eclipse.
My camera was outside for 1 hr ... i wasn't. .it was too cold..lol .... I just left my camera in a "warm" area....and it cleared up no problem....
I would not suggest wiping it off.... have patience .... or take the photo with the fog...neat effect..lol
TheHawk1973

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Hey Shane! Welcome to the CL forum :)

From my experience of shooting in cold weather (not huge but nonetheless) the lens has never fogged while going from warm indoors to cold outdoors. It has always been the opposite and this makes total sense as cold glass will draw condensation in a warm "humid" environment.

I've heard some people place their cameras in a ziplock bags prior to going back inside as this allows the camera to cool down less rapidly and also in the same air as outside which might inhibit fog.
I think this can work but can further be improved. What if you were to keep, inside the ziplock bag, 1 or 2 of those little desiccant packets of silica gel which would draw any of the humidity from the air inside the bag. Therefore, when your camera warms up inside the bag, there won't be any water vapor that could condensate on the cold lens as the air will be dry. (What do others think, as I've never tried it myself ... I think it can work quite well though)

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. As TheHawk said though, the fog effect could still be neat :lol:
Andy

Postby Shane Collins » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeah Andy sorry, i ment from the cold to the warm haha. I just wondered what anyones experience is of this if they've had it. I don't want to get new equipment and ruin it because of being ignorant and careless i want it to last a while :) I'll try the tips you both gave me thanks alot :)
Shane Collins

Postby csmonte » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:00 pm

I would like to here a "recommended method" on this subject as well. I was out side one night it was VERY cold, at least for here, in the single digits. But it was Soo clear that night. Anyway, I put mine in a 1 Gallon Ziploc bag when I went back in. I felt like I was doing a good think, everyone looked at me like I was a nut.

Second note. A few weeks ago I went to a butterfly house to take some pictures. Going into the 85 degree super humid dome fogged my lens instantly. I had to wait around 10 min for it to completely clear. This I don't see having a good method for this. But I would like to know about when you Can Help to avoid and What we all should do. Are those Silica packs a good Idea? Sounds good.

thanks
csmonte

Postby smitty526 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:39 pm

I am currently going to school in Vermont and have used my DSLR out in the cold and at the ski resorts and have had no issues. Yes, it will fog up but just leave it be when you go inside until it clears up and there won't be any issues (at least in my experiences). i wouldn't recommend turning it on when it is really fogged up because there could be some condensation on the inside too.
smitty526

Postby Rogersrus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I bought a Canon XTi a few months ago and have a lot to learn. DSLRTips.com has been great.

However on the subject of cold weather shooting, Canon has a great article at http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... fromTips=1

Cheers,
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby Gordon Laing » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:28 am

Hi rogersjt, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Thanks also for the interesting link...

Gordon
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby patti » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:23 am

hiya rogersjt,

ah. another canonite...yay!!!! good to have you around, can't wait for you to post a photo for us!!

And I see Shane is new, too...I am so please you lurkers are joining us...

yipeeee!

patti
canon 7D, Mark iii 5D, ef 70-300 f/4-5.6, ef 28-135mm canon 100-400mm L IS 4.5, and a little 24-70 L f/2.8...
patti

Postby Rogersrus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. I had been checking the fourm out for about two weeks and thought it was time I joined in. I have a bunch of question I want to ask, but I am practicing to see how things work first. I'll post a few pictures once I take a few that I feel are worthy.
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby husky » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:48 am

hey, if your shooting from hot to cold or cold to hot your lense will steam up just leave it in the camera bag for 20-30 mins, it needs to "cool" down to the out/inside temperature
husky

Postby ShAwNeX » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:03 pm

In terms of your glasses it should only fog up when you go from a cold to humid condition. Or if you leave your glasses outside on a really cold day for a long time. But not sure if this is the same with camera lenses.
ShAwNeX

Postby lostmyway » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 am

I know most glass when you come in from the warm such as your glasses they will fog up. So will this happen to my camera lenses?
lostmyway

Postby Markh » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 am

lostmyway wrote:I know most glass when you come in from the warm such as your glasses they will fog up. So will this happen to my camera lenses?

Yes, it may happen. Just try and warm them up slowly, ie put them in the camera bag for a while and don't leave them next to a radiator when you get inside. :lol:

Mark
Markh

Postby richcaw » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 am

came across this thread whle doing an entirely unrelated thread but I have always put camera and lenses into a large plastic bag along with an old sock full of rice which acts as a desiccant.
Canon Eos 5D Mk II, Canon Eos 40D, Canon 24-105 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f4 L USM, Sigma 10-20mm ex dc hsm,4-5.6, Sigma 20mm f1.8 Canon 50mm f1.8 II , Lensbaby g3, Canon 100m f2.8 macro usm, Manfrotto 055pro, 488rc4, MacBook Pro, Lightroom2, Photoshop CS4 and some other stuff
richcaw

Return to Travel photography