A WARNING......

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

A WARNING......

Postby Big Pix » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:59 pm

I will let you read this for yourself, but it is a warning for all who travel and take photos, as this could happen anywhere........ I know Brett, and I have shot with him in Brisbane as he is a very keen photographer, his experience is a must read.......

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2693b2774b

......... posted with Gordon's permission
Big Pix

Postby husky » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:17 am

wow.. that must of been a very horrific time =\ hope his insurance does get his and other peoples gear back =\
husky

Postby dryan2 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 pm

wow, i couldnt imagine something like that. makes me appericate living in a 1st world country
Nikon D300+MB-D10 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 10-20mm
18-200mm VR | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 | SB-600 | Manfrotto 681B & 3232 Monopod--190XPROB & 488RC2 Tripod
flickr
dryan2

Postby TelexStar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:31 am

Quite a distressing story. Particularly so as my wife and I are about to leave for 9 months around the world. Although Africa isn't in our plans, we're spending a good 3 months in South E. Asia.

As a westerner you're a target as soon as you step off the plane and there's little you can do if someone/group wants to rob you.
TelexStar

Postby Gordon Laing » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 am

There's not a lot you can do if a group targets a camp or a bus, but when you're by yourselves, just be discreet.

I also try and travel very light so I only have what looks like a daypack. Most thieves target people with big backpacks who can't react quickly or even can't see what's going on.

As for really obvious stuff, no cameras round necks and make sure you don't look or dress like the richest person in that environment. Thieves will always target the better-dressed victims and leave the scruffs alone!

And when you sit down, stick your leg through the bag's strap and have it in sight at all times. Most thefts are opportunist and involve people catching you off-guard.

Don't ever be put off traveling - just be careful and discreet.
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby marzy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:18 am

Jeees thats hectic.
marzy

Postby ferrari_fx » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:35 am

:shock:
wow
that was some bad s**t
am sorry you went thru that
ferrari_fx

Postby eddcunningham » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:28 am

Jesus, that's awful! =(

I'm scared to take my camera out at night into Nottingham city centre, let alone a foreign country!
eddcunningham

Postby stevesayskanpai » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Lol, Edd I'm with you on the dangers of Nottingham City Centre!
D5100 user. Twitter @stevesayskanpai
Feedback always welcome:
http://stevesayskanpai.portfoliobox.me/
stevesayskanpai

Postby alex168 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 pm

I always keep an extra eye open, nothing has ever happend to me!

but that story is just terrible! i would like that happening to me at all!
alex168

Postby Bjorn van Sinttruije » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Hopefully Finland is not that full of criminals (going there tomorrow :D ). These people must have been terrified. Losing all your gear, that's s*cks (may I use that word?). But I think I'd be more worried about the loss of the wedding ring, that has sentimental value (don't have one yet though).

- Bjorn -
Street and documentary photographer | Google+ | Twitter

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux
Bjorn van Sinttruije

Postby Dominic » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Jesus... (mental note, never go there)

Thats 3 places i'll never visit now!
Dominic

Postby Zerimar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:46 am

That was not very fun to read considering that I will be traveling to Kenya for 3 weeks... Hopefully something bad like that wont happen there, thanks for the tips Gordon. Think I will buy more CF cards rather than a laptop now and just have a small backpack and hopefully my 40D with a 70-200 F/2.8 IS and another lens in it.

I plan to look into the crime rates of where I will be going too...
Zerimar

Postby TenOx » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:50 am

Gordon Laing wrote:There's not a lot you can do if a group targets a camp or a bus, but when you're by yourselves, just be discreet.

I also try and travel very light so I only have what looks like a daypack. Most thieves target people with big backpacks who can't react quickly or even can't see what's going on.

As for really obvious stuff, no cameras round necks and make sure you don't look or dress like the richest person in that environment. Thieves will always target the better-dressed victims and leave the scruffs alone!

And when you sit down, stick your leg through the bag's strap and have it in sight at all times. Most thefts are opportunist and involve people catching you off-guard.

Don't ever be put off traveling - just be careful and discreet.

GL: great advice, it bears repeating!

Always be aware of your surroundings, especially the immediate area
around you. Watch for what's coming toward you too. Try to have some
kind of background of the places you go, and understand the climate
(political, social, and economic). Urban camouflage certainly, but also try
to reduce valuables and possessions as much as possible when you travel.

/..
TenOx

Postby kath1130 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:31 am

Wow :shock: That must have been a horrible situation for the two. I really hope something like that will never happen to me.
kath1130

Next

Return to Travel photography