Venice - The city in the water

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Venice - The city in the water

Postby Nostrum » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:22 pm

I went for a 4 day trip to venice with my girlfriend - and oh well, I shot about 1600 pictures (the beauty and curse of digital photography and exposure bracketing ;) ). I seized that ridiculous number to about 80 photos, which can be viewed in a flash presentation here:

http://samuelbuchmann.ch/VeniceFlash/index.html

All pictures were shot with a Canon EOS 50D. The lens and basic EXIF stuff can be found in the presentation, too. Surprisingly, I didn't use my 10-22mm half as much as I expected.. And only very few shots I did with it, have a real keeper quality... the scene can look amazing when you look through the viewfinder at the 10mm setting, but in the final picture, those scenes just lack impact because they're too small. Maybe if one printed them on A0 they'd look great :) However, I had a blast with my other 2 lenses. The 17-55 f/2.8 makes such an IDEAL walkaround lens for me, and I really really appreciated the f/2.8 aperture and the IS on this trip (notice: I very rarely needed to push my ISO over 800, and never over 1600, even at night!) The 70-200 f/4 IS was great for candid shots in the street, too. I get the highest percentage of keepers with that lens. Sometimes I felt an urge for f/2.8.. my back will probably protest, but I suppose I'll switch to the f/2.8 IS sooner or later :/

So, just 2 sneak-peak pictures to get you guys to really click on the link (I know I'm too lazy myself at times) :D

As always: C&C is much appreciated.
Last edited by Nostrum on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nostrum

Postby athomsfere » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:49 pm

I very much like the first one, nice look and feel to it.
Nikon D7000
18-55mm VR
50mm 1.8
55-200mm VR
ML-L3 Wireless release
SB600

athomsfere

Postby podgeorge » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Some really superb shots here, well done, also venice looks really nice!
podgeorge

Postby Rui Costa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Absulutly stunning. The weather seemed to be great.
Rui Costa

Postby Gordon Laing » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:04 pm

I love Venice and they're both great shots - I have something similar to your second, but mine was on a very overcast grey January day!
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby Nostrum » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks.

Venice is a really nice little city. However, 3 1/2 days were definitely enough - even though it's lovely to stroll around in the old town for hours, the core of the city is pretty small and the whole economy is clearly all about tourism - and oh boy there were a lot of tourists even though it was not holiday season! I don't even want to imagine what St. Markus Square looks like on a sunny day in june...

The weather was actually only good about half the time, other than that it was quite overcast and chilly. But I obviously succeeded to create the illusion of great weather on the whole trip ;)

Probably the best time to go taking pictures is early in the morning. I got up on 5.00 AM to do that - and it was a very funny picture, since I was clearly not the only one who had that idea :D at 6.00 PM on St. Markus Square and the surroundings, we were around 15 Photographers, all heavily equipped with tripods, 24-70 f/2.8's etc. and even some 1Ds/D3's..
Nostrum

Postby Adi Zulhusni MarkII » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Wow! what a superb picture Nice one! :D
Adi Zulhusni MarkII

Postby naniani » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Love both the pictures, especially the first one! Spent a day trip in venice a few years ago loved it very much, but it was too hot on the day we were there, anyway once again , really nice pics. sue :)

Nostrum, i have just looked at all the others that you have taken of Venice and they are very very good indeed, i think you have done an excellent job of showing everyone an insight into the wonderful city of Venice. Brilliant photos. :)
canon 400D
18-55 lens
tamron70-300 lens
sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/
naniani

Postby kost80 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Nostrum wrote:Thanks.

Probably the best time to go taking pictures is early in the morning. I got up on 5.00 AM to do that - and it was a very funny picture, since I was clearly not the only one who had that idea :D at 6.00 PM on St. Markus Square and the surroundings, we were around 15 Photographers, all heavily equipped with tripods, 24-70 f/2.8's etc. and even some 1Ds/D3's..

That's quite funny. I remember when I went to Rome in September and photographed Colloseum in the early morning there only me and local janitor :) I was obviosly very lucky. Thanks for sharing your experience.
kost80

Postby Nostrum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:25 pm

naniani wrote:Love both the pictures, especially the first one! Spent a day trip in venice a few years ago loved it very much, but it was too hot on the day we were there, anyway once again , really nice pics. sue :)

Nostrum, i have just looked at all the others that you have taken of Venice and they are very very good indeed, i think you have done an excellent job of showing everyone an insight into the wonderful city of Venice. Brilliant photos. :)

thanks! glad that my intention, to give an insight in what a day strolling around in Venice looks like, worked :)
Nostrum

Postby tranceplant » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:54 pm

I love the first one!!!!!!! :D
tranceplant

Postby Enche Zein » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:40 am

the first one is interesting.

the second one = I have seen many similar shots (angle) objects, so it is kinda boring
Enche Zein

Postby Nostrum » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:13 am

you guys do realize, that those 2 are just a very tiny sneak peak of the whole presentation of the trip? ;)

And yes I guess about every tourist takes a similar picture like the second one - I just tried to catch the best light, perspective and angle but that's probably been done a hundred times before, too :D still, a 08/15 picture like this is a must in a travel reportage as well in my opinion. But I tried to fill up all the "usual" architecture pictures with a lot of street candids and detail shots.
Nostrum

Postby GCJ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 pm

I've checked out the whole set, very impressive Sam thanks for sharing
John :)
Nikon D7100, Nikon D80, D40 and various lenses.
GCJ

Postby FazaMonster » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:24 pm

those are excellent!

and i realize now your gf is the one from that shot taken with your 85mm that you were so proud of ... lucky guy!

very good pics, i'm impressed

and i hope you had a great time!

the one with the guy tossing the aluminum cylinder to the other took me a moment to process =)
FazaMonster

Next

Return to Travel photography