travel tip: MYANMAR

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

travel tip: MYANMAR

Postby kevin.verelst » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Really guys & girls!
I can not promote Myanmar enough!

Wonderfull landscapes, ancient architecture, lovely and open people,...
It has everything, except mass-tourism of course. And it's all still real!!!

Seriously this is really a country to concider if you like travel photography!

I hope you will put the tip to good use :D
kevin.verelst

Postby tranceplant » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:10 pm

do you have pictures?
tranceplant

Postby Gordon Laing » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Yep, photos please! And also suggestions and tips on locations, getting around, possible dangers etc...
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby kevin.verelst » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Well here it goes:

Here you can find photo's of my trip.

http://kevinverelst.webs.com/myanmar2008.htm
(click on the album)

Comments are always welcome, but please remember that just because I'm passionate, doesn't mean I'm good :D

A few things you certainly should visit when visiting Myanmar:
- Schwedagon pagode wikipedia shwedagon
This is a huge pagoda covered in gold and around it there is a large platform with lots of other building. On the platform you can find praying people day and night. The whole day there is a great atmosphere, especially at sunset. Just stunning!
- Bagan wikipedia bagan
this is an unesco protected site of 16 square miles covered with temples, pagodas, .... Comparable with Ankor in Cambodja.
http://www.ancientbagan.com
-Inle Lake wikipedia Inle Lake
On this beautiful lake whole village live like it was land. Even Pagodas and floating garden can be find in the middle of the water. The nature is stunning. The lake is also famous for the typical way of rowing of the the 'legrowers'

These are the main 3 sites you can not miss, but recommended are also:
the city of Mandalay and it surrounding historical/religious sites(remeber 'the road to mandalay'? (book/movie)), Mount Popa (vulcanic rock shooting straight up out of a valley with a temple on top), the huge lying buddha's like in Bagu,....

Also the people are so friendly and honest, although the poverty can get to you. I garantee you will be overwhelmed by different emotions, especially when you try to get in touch with the locals and local culture.
Kids and woman are still painting their faces in a traditional way.
Not just as a tourist attraction.
For some it is a downside that the tourism isn't developed in Myanmar, but to be honest I just think it keeps it real!

There is of course the whole political discussion because of the
government, but I don't want to go into that issue.
I just want to say I don't agree with the approach western government are taking.(embargo's won't solve anything in this case)

Some rules of conduct have to be followed: no pictures of military or anything government related, bare foots when entering buddhist religious sites, ....

Getting around? Roads are in bad condition so 5 mile drive could take a while. In most of the country bicycles and mostly cheap chinese motorcycles are popular. The Ayeyarwady River has been the mayor route to travel and most site are found next to this river? It divides the country in two by going from top to bottom. One thing I can garantee is that your will need to make a lot of boat trips (don't expect luxurious tourist boat :D). Domestic flights are also advisable, they will save a lot of time.

Most likely I forgot some things.
Additional questions will be answered if asked!!!
kevin.verelst

Postby tranceplant » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm

^great pictures :D
tranceplant

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:22 pm

I agree this is an absolutely amazing country with an amazing culture and hard working people but one must also be realistic... I got shot at once and had my camera and gear confiscated at another time just before returning home.. I was nowhere near any military sites ad as far as I know nowhere near anything sensitive (it still hasnt been returned or replaced) Also there were 2 attempted robberies made against me. This all happened about 7 months ago.. in my opinion the country is in turmoil. People dressed as police who are not police, police who are on the take. One needs to be very careful... especially when off the "tourist track".

I spent most of my time in the hills at the amber mines and that general area and most of the rest of my time off te beaten track so I cant speak in regards to the larger cities and tourist areas.

I must also say this was my third time there and never had any really bad experiences the other 2 times with the exception of some pickpockets trying to take stuff and a cop who wasnt a cop.
Wolfsong

Return to Travel photography