Which is better?

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Which is better?

Postby Razvan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:53 pm

1st of all,I'm puzzled by the fact that I don't know were to post street photos.
Thomas,if you feel this topic will be "happier" somewhere else,please do something about it. :)

2nd,I want to ask you guys about 2 crops of the same photo,taken today,with different compositions. (don't mind the b&w conversion & the strong constrast)

1.Image

2.Image

I like the first a bit more,because of the position of the path of plants in the photo, but the second looks more balanced.

Also,I like it in color too.

I'm very undecided. :roll:
Razvan

Postby Rogersrus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:54 am

I like the color one the best, but none of them lead you to the subject of the photo.
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby Razvan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks roger. I doesn't need to lead necessary to the subject.
So what is the best framing? the 1st of the 2nd? And why...
I am debating about the 2 compositions with a friend & she says the 2nd works better.
Razvan

Postby Rogersrus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am

If it was summer and the first one would have the flowers in bloom and would be the best composite. However with the flowers being dormant I agree that the second one is better.
Canon XTi
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head
Rogersrus

Postby Gregory.Rotter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 am

How do you mean, 'it doesn't need to lead you'? Of course it does. Otherwise, what are we meant to be looking at? Some dogs with a blotch in the middle? You are the photographer, and so it's your job to give the shot some focal point. Not all shots need a specific focal point, an architecture shot for example, but in this shot, you can't really tell what you're meant to be looking at in the black and white. The upper half of the person blends in with the background and gets lost. The colour probably works the best. My 2c.
Gregory.Rotter

Postby swame_sp » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Color looks better for me....
Giving a pleasant look comparing to the B&W.....
swame_sp

Postby Razvan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Thank you everybody,yes,I like the color version as well. It has a painting look to it.(photo no.1)

p.s. roger & gregory,you were right about that something must lead the eye to the subject.
Razvan

Postby pgtips » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 pm

I think the 2nd looks better. I've made the same mistake of filling too much in the frame when a tighter crop can serve to emphasize the subject. You gotta ask yourself, does seeing more of that empty rectangular flower bed help your photo?
pgtips

Return to Travel photography