Need recommendations for a Japan holiday

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Need recommendations for a Japan holiday

Postby Nostrum » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I plan to go on a japan trip, probably in autumn as I've heard great things about this season in japan (please do correct me if you think otherwise!). Now the deal is, I have literally no idea of what japan looks like in the different places.

I'm not the commercial-holiday kind of guy, who wants to go on a "14day all inclusive guided tour around ALL of japan". What I'm looking for, is the classic/medieval japan, rather than the big cities (even though I'd probably like to spend 2 days or so in one of them). Does this kind of japan even still exist, or has everything fallen to the technical revolution allready? :) And if it DOES exist, where is the place to look for it? I might even consider trakking if that can get me to beautiful places.

So, if ANYONE has ever been to japan or even lives there, I'd be very thankful for any experiences, tips or whatever you can share

cheers!
Nostrum

Postby popo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm

I lived in Tokyo for almost half a year, but I was epic fail in that I didn't really get out of Tokyo area. Been meaning to correct it but haven't managed it yet...

Autumn is nice enough. Not too hot, not too cold. Kyoto is where you want to be if you want the traditional stuff. Even in the modern cities, you'll find temples and things hidden amongst the modern.

Do give in and check out the modern side too. Osaka isn't far from Kyoto although I don't know much about it myself.

In Toyko, I don't know if they still do it, but they close the road in Akihabara on Sundays making it easier to walk around. It is also the tech shopping region if you want to do a bit while you're there ;) Nip round the Yamanote line to Yoyogi park and see if the random groups still gather there. Other common areas to go include Shinjuku, Shibuya. Big temple area in Asakusa. For full tourist mode there's Tokyo Tower and/or the nearby hills to get a view over the area.

It'll be a bit late in the season to climb up Mt Fuji.
Canon DSLRs: 7D2, 7D1, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L, 100L, MP-E 65, EF-S 10-18, 15-85
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 50/1.4A, 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
popo

Postby naniani » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi Nostrum, We went to Japan a few years ago in September and its a truly wonderful place.I can also be a very very expensive place too. Please do not miss Kyoto it has so much to offer. I know you want to steer away from the cities but do not miss Kyoto. Gion corner is where you will find Geisha, plus underneath the station at kyoto, is not to be missed either, it has so many shops its like another town underground, where you can get cheap meals.I have never seen anything like it! It also has a great fish market. Nara is another place worth a visit.
Miyajima is a great little island where you can see the Torii gate, plus it has forests etc. We visited that after we had been to Hiroshima. Check out lonely planets book on Japan, a mine of information on all the Japanese islands.
Oh you make me wish i was going back again, Nostrum have a wonderful time and please post you piccies, when we went i never had a decent camera, so maybe now one day i shall be lucky enough to return. I wish you a truly great time, sue :)
canon 400D
18-55 lens
tamron70-300 lens
sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/
naniani

Postby Nostrum » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I've read a lot of good things about Kyoto, it seems to be a lovely place to go. As for "expensive" you're probably right - the hotels are rather pricey alltogether :shock: I wasn't quite aware of that.

I'm going to do some more research about that area I guess, and about the price as well - even though Japan would be my absolute top priority I might have a look into China as well, it seems a lot cheaper (at a first glance at least :) )
Nostrum

Postby naoko » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Nostrum>
I'm so excited to find this post! I'm from Japan.

Japan has so many to offer, beautiful seasons, high-tech stuff, neon cities and historic places.
I'd say autum and spring are the best seasons to visit there.
Summer can be too hot/too humid for you.

Besides Kyoto, I'd recommend Kamakura (wiki page). It's about 60mins from Tokyo by train. It's a pretty place, has beach and mountains, and a lot of history. If you are interested in, there's a Buddha statue, which you can go *inside* of Buddha. Kamakura is one of my favorite places to go.

Even Tokyo offers various scenery, you can enjoy sky scrapers/neon in the city part, but if you go to old downtown part (like Asakusa, if you know. wiki page), you'll see completely different Tokyo. I think Imperial Palace is very popular for foreign tourists, too. It's just a few min walk from Tokyo station.

Nijuubashi bridge at Imperial Palace

I hope you'll enjoy Japan, whichever location you choose :-)
naoko

Postby Adi Zulhusni MarkII » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for info Guys & Gals!

If I'm going to Tokyo I would go to
-Asakusa
-Shibuya
-Ginza
-Harajuku Street

& Thats all. Wish someone pay me some air fare ticket :(

@Naokosan- Have you ever been to Harajuku Street ? & Where can I see a lot of Anime Cosplayer ( I'm Obsess with Anime Character ) :shock:
Adi Zulhusni MarkII

Postby popo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 pm

@Adi - Aside from the electronics, Akihabara is also a focal point for anime/manga related stuff and maid cafes. Better would be at events like Comiket or the Tokyo Game Show, but you have to go when they're on.
Canon DSLRs: 7D2, 7D1, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L, 100L, MP-E 65, EF-S 10-18, 15-85
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 50/1.4A, 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
popo

Postby naoko » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Lolita Love Photography wrote:Thanks for info Guys & Gals!

If I'm going to Tokyo I would go to
-Asakusa
-Shibuya
-Ginza
-Harajuku Street

& Thats all. Wish someone pay me some air fare ticket :(

@Naokosan- Have you ever been to Harajuku Street ? & Where can I see a lot of Anime Cosplayer ( I'm Obsess with Anime Character ) :shock:

For a sec, thought you started this thread :P haha
Yes, I've been Harajuku St, and around that area. I lived in Tokyo for 8 yrs.
You go to Harajuku Station, then I bet you can almost always see some girls in costumes (more like in *gothic lolita*, I think) hanging around.
Also as popo mentioned, Akihabara could be your place, too, for more anime stuff. They have Cosplayer (?) cafes or *maid* cafes (I personally never been to, though), where girls in those costumes serve you as waitresses. Sounds like a dream to you? :-)
naoko

Postby Adi Zulhusni MarkII » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:35 pm

naoko wrote:For a sec, thought you started this thread :P haha
You go to Harajuku Station, then I bet you can almost always see some girls in costumes (more like in *gothic lolita*, I think) hanging around.
Also as popo mentioned, Akihabara could be your place, too, for more anime stuff. They have Cosplayer (?) cafes or *maid* cafes (I personally never been to, though), where girls in those costumes serve you as waitresses. Sounds like a dream to you? :-)

Thanks Naokosan & Popo

Hmmm I'm not sure when I'm going to there, I wish I'm Taking Scholarship To Tokyo University ( Of course I'm going to Harajuku & Akihabara ) & This will be a dream come true :D ( I'll prefer Sweet Gothic Lolita girls than *maid* girls :shock: )
Adi Zulhusni MarkII

Postby Shanghaid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 pm

Nostrum wrote: I might have a look into China as well, it seems a lot cheaper (at a first glance at least :) )

It is quite a bit less expensive to travel around China.
Shanghaid

Postby tranceplant » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:15 am

for Japan, I visited the country for 3 weeks a few months ago and I made a complete website with pictures and a little resume of the cities and places I have visited.

www.antoineinjapan.co.nr

Depends what you want to see, the temples and ''old'' japan is very nice, but you get bored after just a few days. They are all very similar.

There is modern Tokyo such as Hakihabara for all those electronic stuff. In Hiroshima you can visit for free the Mazda Factory(call them or show up in the morning to know the tour hours). Also I have visited the most amazing place for Hot springs in Kusatsu and it was AWESOME. Also you will need to buy the JapanRail pass, trains can be expensive in Japan, but with this pass you will save tons of money. Japanese people were jealous of my pass. Note that you need to buy this pass with a foreign passport in a foreign country.

cheers and feel free to ask me any question.
tranceplant

Postby tranceplant » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am

Adi Zulhusni MarkII wrote:
naoko wrote:For a sec, thought you started this thread :P haha

Thanks Naokosan & Popo

Hmmm I'm not sure when I'm going to there, I wish I'm Taking Scholarship To Tokyo University ( Of course I'm going to Harajuku & Akihabara ) & This will be a dream come true :D ( I'll prefer Sweet Gothic Lolita girls than *maid* girls :shock: )

For Harajuku station and the freak show, go sunday afternoon on a sunny day. Other than that forget it, you won't see much.
tranceplant

Postby Gordon Laing » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 pm

I've visited Japan several times and loved it! As the others have said, spending some time in Tokyo and Kyoto is a must, but I'm also fond of the following:

Hokkaido - the Northern Island with Sapporo as the major city. A real contrast to mid and South Japan. Lots of mountains and wildnerness. The photo of Sunflowers below was taken close to Biei in Hokkaido, near to legendary Japanese photographer Shinzo Maeda's Takushinkan gallery.

Head further North to Wakanai and you're sufficiently close to Russia that the signs are in Japanese AND Russian! And if you do head up there, catch a ferry to Rishiri-to and Rebun-to for some great hiking.

Yudanaka - home of the famous Snow Monkeys, and only a few hours North of Tokyo towards the Ski areas of Nagano.

Kawaguchi-ko - the lakes area by Mount Fuji, and a great overnight trip from Tokyo - only a couple of hours by long-distance bus from Shinjuku station in Tokyo.

PS - many years ago I created a webpage with some travel tips for Tokyo. Most of it still applies!
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Return to Travel photography