Anyone been to Big Island Hawaii

Share your travel photography tips

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

Anyone been to Big Island Hawaii

Postby Nelepl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 am

I would like anybody who has been to Big island Hawaii to share some of their photo experience (note where picture was taken).

Unfortunately I have only one picture at the moment (all my pictures prior June 2008 are on my computer hard drive and now I have only a laptop and I don`t have a cable to transfer them), but I will post them as soon as I get them transferred.
The picture was taken across the road from Mauna Kea Visitor Information Center on a red hill (who has been there will know).

http://api.photoshop.com/home_6a5f1580d ... 50bb703394
Nelepl

Postby kost80 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I think Hawaii has volcanic origin so landscapes and seascapes should be breath taking!
kost80

Postby Nelepl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Yes it is, it's very beautiful place. So many different thing to see and to take pictures off of course. The only thing is that they didn't have any eruptions in those 10 days so I didn't see any lava. I would like to have some of that in my collection. :wink: :wink:
Nelepl

Postby gingertea » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm not sure what you are looking for in this post, but I'll just share my experience and hope it will help. I went to the Big Island in August 2006. The great thing about Hawaii is that everything is beautiful! It really feels like you are walking in a postcard sometimes. Between the gorgeous valleys, volcano, and the beaches on the west coast, you will have plenty of great subjects.

Must Sees for a Photographer:
1) Hike Pololu Valley - part of a chain of 7 valleys on the NE side of the Big Island. The other famous valley is Waipio Valley. These valleys were featured in the movie "Waterworld" at the end of the film.
2) Explore West Coast beach. The most famous is Hapuna Beach, but there are several more secluded beaches all along the West Coast.
3) Mauna Kea Volcano - There is a trail where you can hike across an old volcano and pass through rainforest. You can also drive around old lava fields. Sometimes you can see live lava, but you have to be lucky and check with the Hawaii Volcano National Park's website for current viewings.

I would also recommend taking a boat/snorkeling tour. Depending on the time of year and your luck, you can see dolphins, sharks, and whales.

Unfortunately, all my photos are snapshots with a P&S because this was pre-SLR so I don't have anything great to share.
gingertea

Postby gingertea » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:51 pm

I would also recommend the book "The Big Island Revealed" because they include lots of secluded places to visit with detailed instructions on how to get there.
gingertea

Postby Gordon Laing » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:33 pm

I visited the Big Island in 2002 and loved it! As the others have said, Mauna Kea and the lava fields are a must, and there's also some really interesting exhibitions in the small town about life there...

Above: Observatories at Mauna Kea

Above: Lava flows. I'm sure this is where HR Giger got his inspiration for Alien...

All images taken with a Sony Cybershot F707 (as I recall!)
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby Nelepl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Nelepl

Postby Nelepl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Sorry I didn't put descriptions

#1: Akaka Falls
#2: Some small creek that has found its way through the jungle
#3: Umauma Falls (very disappointing place considering the rest of the island)
#4: A small lizard that somehow came into the room (it took me 20 min to get him out)
#5: A sea turtle that was passing this point every morning exactly at 10:17 am, you could adjust your clock to it
#6: Again sea turtle going back 20 min later
#7: Just a palm tree at the beach, I just lied underneath and took a shot
#8: Can you imagine this is all one tree, to bad there some distractions in front of it like that telephone pole and cables
#9: Kauna'oa Beach
#10 Just some plant growing from lava rocks
#11 Me in front of the entrance of the lava tube
#12 Some rocks in rain forest, I liked the colors green and purple
Nelepl

Postby Nelepl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 pm

All pictures were taken with my Ricoh 35mm film except the one where I am in the picture, it was my friends Olympus power shot, don't know the model.
Nelepl

Postby sarojkumarss » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I like the first one. Nice..
Canon EOS 450D
Canon 50mm F1.8 ll l 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS l 50mm F2.8 DG Macro l EF-530 DG ST
Flickr
sarojkumarss

Postby Nelepl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 am

Thanks
Nelepl

Return to Travel photography