some thoughts on the A3000

DSLRs, compacts, lenses and flashes. Discuss all things Sony here!

Moderators: Bob Andersson, Thomas, Bjorn van Sinttruije

some thoughts on the A3000

Postby pcake » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm

i was in the market for a light budget camera with a grip. among the cameras for consideration was the A3000. every reviewer talks about the poor res EVF and screen, so i had pretty much written it off as a possibility, but i kept thinking "it's SO inexpensive for an APSC sensor camera", so yesterday i tried one out.

honestly while the EVF may not match today's standards, the reviews had me expecting something like the panasonic LF1 EVF. the reality is that it's much better than the LF1 EVF, bigger, clearer - just better, and not only more comfortable to use but the refresh rate was so much better than my old panny FZ150, so you could keep up with moving subjects. overall i like the camera. while it doesn't have all the features of a lot of cameras, it's currently about $300 on amazon with a lens for a sensor as big as the average DSLR, and bigger than micro four thirds.
pcake

Re: some thoughts on the A3000

Postby Gordon Laing » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for your comments! I think us reviewers get used to comparing things with the best, and forgetting that something may be still be better than expected. I certainly think the A3000 represents amazing value for an interchangeable lens camera with an APSC sensor.
Gordon Laing
Site Admin

Postby pcake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:19 pm

i agree with you, and it's too bad because this camera isn't getting anywhere near the attention it deserves. lesser cameras with more positive reviews appear on boards and on smaller review sites, where this one sunk like a stone. in fact, that's why i decided to post about it - i was surprised that the EVF wasn't crappy when i tried it ;-)
pcake

Postby Antony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just my observations: Unfortunately, over many forums (not just photography related), most active posters recommend for the top spec'ed device. Nothing but the best.

You don't need a top of the line camera to take great photos.
AntBlog701 | SillyDog701
Apple: Mac Pro (12-core 2.66GHz), MacBook Pro Retina (15-in), MacBook Air (11-in, 1.8GHz i7), iMac (21.5-in, Core i5), Mac mini Server (2.66GHz), iMac (24-in, C2D), PowerBook G4 (12-in, 1.33GHz), iMac G4 (1.25GHz)x2, PowerMac G4 (dual 1.44GHz).
iPhone: 6 Plus, 6, 5s, 5, 4S, 4, 3G
iPad: Air 2, Air, Mini 3, 4, 3, 2, original (all models are 3G/LTE)
iPod touch: 5th gen x2, 4th gen x2, 1st gen,
4 x AirPort Extreme, 2 x Time Capsule...
Antony

Return to Sony